"New to me" Singer 319W.

Old 01-26-2014, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by manicmike
Your info about that Organ HLx5 is very interesting. I'm sure you already know that the 206x13 is essentially a 15x1 but with a slightly shorter tip. Being able to get, say, ball point needles or maybe a size 18 would be immensely useful if you have one of these machines (206, 306, 319, 320).

For anyone asking why you'd bother, they're very well designed and built and really heavy duty. I have a 206 light industrial version (206K10) which would benefit from a wider variety of needle options.
Thanks GW, I'll look it up now.
Keep in mind: I just found that comparison picture on the internet. It's not mine. Those could just be production variances that you get in any mass production run.

It did prompt me to order a 10 pack of HLX5's to run through the vernier and compare to the 206x13 sizing. Since they are 15X1 needles, any size difference should be attributable to tip length.

It could very well end up being a similar situation as when I build up diesel engines: Select fit.

For example: you measure and measure pistons until you get the spec you need for a specific bore or cylinder.

It's possible I may be able to get away with 15X1 pattern needles in the 319W one a case by case basis on each individual needle.

Mass production, gotta love it.....
Old 01-26-2014, 04:27 PM

You duplicated your post. Be quick and you can delete the second one.

I'm keen to see the results when you get your needles. From what I read they're extremely hard wearing too (titanium?)
Old 01-26-2014, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by manicmike
You duplicated your post. Be quick and you can delete the second one.

I'm keen to see the results when you get your needles. From what I read they're extremely hard wearing too (titanium?)
From what I've read, which is admittedly only brief, they are more robust (resistant to bending) since they are a "commercial" needle and they have a flat shank like a domestic instead of a round like a commercial.

As I understand it, titanium is a coating (like regular chrome) you can get them in. I've also read anecdotal stuff about the chrome being thicker since they intended for commercial machines, but who knows if that is true or not?

I'll be happy if they work and my selection of available needle types are broader than the universal sharp type (or whatever they are) that schmetz offers in the 206x13.
Old 01-26-2014, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by great white
From what I've read, which is admittedly only brief, they are more robust (resistant to bending) since they are a "commercial" needle and they have a flat shank like a domestic instead of a round like a commercial.
I'll be happy if they work and my selection of available needle types are broader than the universal sharp type (or whatever they are) that schmetz offers in the 206x13.
I read the blurb about it by Organ. They never mention it being a 206x13 replacement, but if that pic is accurate and their manufacturing is as good as they say ("Schmetz quality") they might all be a little shorter than a 15x1. Maybe they don't want to mention the compatibility thing since it's like a guarantee they will work.
When yours arrives, could you place a regular 15x1, 206x13 and an HLX5 on a scanner? I'm presuming you want to do this comparison anyway and that you have a scanner (because you're an engineer). I might not be able to wait, though, and head down to my local supplier :-)
Very exciting stuff. If it's a goer my 320K and your 319W will be able to handle anything up to and including upholstery.
Old 01-27-2014, 01:53 AM

Wife is a professional photographer. I'll see if she can do some macro shots of the needles in addition to my mic measurements of them.

She does everything from landscape and portraiture to crime scene and technical shots. This would be easy stuff for her...

Last edited by great white; 01-27-2014 at 02:00 AM.
Old 01-27-2014, 12:41 PM

Maybe not the smartest thing to do, but I decided I wanted to see how thick I could go with the machine now properly set up.

So I popped in one of the older 206x13's I found in the boxes.

2 layers of denim. Straight stitch and built in cams. No problem.

4 layers. Same stitches. No problems.

8 layers. Same stitches. No problems. Didn't even drop a single stitch.

Except......

I went around the (now) square denim swatch stitching 8 layers easily. Then, I went across diagonal and the needle tip broke off.

I didn't realize at first, so I ended up punching about 2-3 inches of holes in the fabric with the broken shank.

Sucker didn't even slow down. Just happily went along punching blunt holes in 8 layers of denim.

This thing is a bit of a beast for a domestic machine....I like it!

Last edited by great white; 01-27-2014 at 12:45 PM.
Old 01-27-2014, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by great white
This thing is a bit of a beast for a domestic machine....I like it!
Ha ha! I've never tested mine like that, but just after Christmas I bought a light industrial version, a 206K10. It came with irons and small industrial motor. So I made a table top for it and bolted it together.
It's already a remarkable machine with that motor, so with the industrial Organ needles it'll be even more useful.
I'll go out this morning if I can (it's 39C today) and buy the Organ needles.
Old 01-27-2014, 02:04 PM

DH has ours freed up and functioning. I'm suprised at how quite it is, and it does have a different sound, like it's got some real drive behind it.

It's got about a gazillion oil holes in it!

Ours was seized up pretty tight -but it only needed a lot of oiling to get everything moving like it should. DH says this one is going to take a long time before he's got it all cleaned up.
Old 01-27-2014, 03:01 PM

good thread! (pun intended). I've thought about PWM speed control, but havent done anything about it. Let us know how you go about it if you do. Breadboard, off the shelf buy a kit or modify something. I would like to slow down the max speed on some older machines without lising power, partly to help their wear n tear. And I've thought about adding some LED lighting for utility but also esthetics on the '50's dasboard looking Japanese machines.
Old 01-27-2014, 03:23 PM
Power Poster

Was a very cool story. I just purchased a Singer 401 Slant-O-Matic in a desk cabinet owned by an interior designer. This machine is very cool. Lots of attachments, probably some I will not use. But better to have and not need vs. need and not have. I only paid $150.00 and needs some work on the cabinet. Husband is going to lightly sand and put a clear whatever on it when neither one of us is using it. I woke up to a buzzing sound the day after I got it. He was using it to mend a portion of his denim jacket. Looks great. He said I done good. I like it better than my newer plastic one but wouldn't give it up either. Congrats on a great find and who would've thought to break a cabinet down flat. Enjoy!