"New to me" Singer 319W.

Old 01-27-2014, 06:09 PM

Well now, interesting stuff just keeps popping up:

Found here: http://www.devsew.co.nz/category/singer

Listed as a 173058 bobbin case for 206/306/319.

Certainly has the right pinslot for my 319. The top of the bobbin case is particularly interesting. Makes me wonder if this is perhaps the "mythical" singer updated bobbin pattern I've seen mentioned in quiet corners of the vintage sewing community.

Another seen here: http://www.cutexsewingsupplies.com/s...-SINGER/Detail has a more traditional looking slot, but it does appear to be deeper than my original simanco bobbin case. This is likely closer to the "updated" case pattern singer supposedly released, if they actually did at all....

Last edited by great white; 01-27-2014 at 06:25 PM.
Old 01-27-2014, 06:34 PM

I don't see any "downsides" to the elliptical cut out. Only increased bobbin to needle clearance should the needle hook, break or otherwise deflect.

I do think I will modify a spare case to see how it performs. It looks like an excellent compromise between OEM performance and needle clearances. Might make an appropriately selected 15x1 needle an even more viable possibility.

It won't do anything for feed dog timing, but one step closer is one step closer no matter how you look at it....
Old 01-27-2014, 06:43 PM

[QUOTE=great white;6538873]

Certainly has the right pinslot for my 319. The top of the bobbin case is particularly interesting. Makes me wonder if this is perhaps the "mythical" singer updated bobbin pattern I've seen mentioned in quiet corners of the vintage sewing community.

"Mythical" as in the finger lever falls off when it is first removed. I've tried a couple new bobbin cases for my 15-91's without success. Havn't had much luck with the new overseas parts in general. Must be some kind of plot. Hmmm.

Jon
Old 01-27-2014, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by jlhmnj
Originally Posted by great white

"Mythical" as in the finger lever falls off when it is first removed. I've tried a couple new bobbin cases for my 15-91's without success. Havn't had much luck with the new overseas parts in general. Must be some kind of plot. Hmmm.

Jon
No worries. The cheaper "overseas" spares can be used for prototyping and proof of concept instead of the rarer original parts. Ruin a new spare, no great loss. Ruin an orignal quality part and you're not going to be happy.

Once it's confirmed a modification works, it can be done on my original simanco parts.

If the newer parts hold up, its just gravy.

Last edited by great white; 01-27-2014 at 06:53 PM.
Old 01-28-2014, 02:52 PM

Just posting the replacement timing belt for my own possible reference in the future:

Nice actually. Probably runs even quieter than the OE cleated belt. We use them on engines for timing the cam to the crank.

Smooth, quiet and they absorb shock loads in the system. Shock loading shouldn't be an issue in a sewing machine, but quieter is always a nice feature. A modern timing belt should also last at least as long as the original.

Having a replacement in case the fiber/cleated belt is good though. Especially for something this old. I may pick one up to squirrel away just on spec....
Old 01-28-2014, 05:21 PM

What a fun read this has been, sitting here waiting for DH to finish cooking supper, reading absently on the board entries. You sound like a genius, great white. Are you in TN--I was on a SW flight from TX the same day you were boarding with your table and sewing machine. I had debated bringing a machine back with me, but left it there for the kids to bring in their van when they come to see us next summer. I couldn't stand the thought of being embarrassed going through the lines. Oh well. That machine looks pretty enough for me to start looking for one. I have recently acquired a 306k that has me going in circles right now. BTW, welcome to this board. You'll love it, and it seems we'll love you.....
Old 01-29-2014, 02:02 AM

Nope, Canada.

Genius? Not really, but thank you for the compliment. I'm just a guy working my way through my problems as best i can.

Old 01-29-2014, 07:02 AM

Love you story & hope you both have many years of happy sewing. I admire your can-do attitude! Welcome to the board!
Old 01-29-2014, 12:04 PM

Got my first bundle of needles today. 12's, 14's and a couple 16's.

Not impressed with the seller though. Bought from a couple different ebay auctions and they all showed up in one $1.10 stamped envelope.

Charged me 5 bucks for shipping on two auctions (10 bucks total) and then ships them like that. Different ebay seller names too.

Seems the ethical thing to do would have been to refund at least one of the shipping charges when they saw it was the same buyer and it all went out in about 2 bucks worth of shipping costs.

I can't stand it when people take advantage that way. Without moral ethics and a sense of fairness, what could you possibly have that's any good in the rest of your life? A couple extra bucks? Not worth sacrificing your ethics and moral center IMHO. It's not the 5 bucks that's disappointing, it's the principle. I could care less about 5 bucks.

Meh, eBay. Should be used to that kind of thing from there by now I guess.

I bought them there to test with since they were small quantities. Once it's all up and running well I'll buy from Schmetz in the 100 packs and not have to deal with sleezebay.

If the organ ones work out, I'll be going that way for 15x1's. I think those come in large quantities too, so I'll be set for a while there also...

Last edited by great white; 01-29-2014 at 12:24 PM.
Old 01-29-2014, 05:39 PM

Possibly adding a Kenmore 158.15000 and a singer 328 to the collection.

Says he'll take 40 bucks for both.....