New "Old" Singer

Old 12-05-2014, 09:09 AM

I'll jump in, too, and urge you to keep it! My first treadle left with my ex-husband (who bought it before we were married) and I really missed it a LOT! I keep talking to people who buy up the old machines to 'repurpose' as tables or desks and just throw away the actual sewing machine. Keep it safe at home. If you decide to use it, I think you'll quickly discover how much fun it is to sew with a treadle.
Old 12-05-2014, 02:05 PM
KLO

Yes, I agree, you should keep it. And even if you don't sew with it, please take the plants off the wood top as that seems to be a common ruination of the finish on the top. I cannot even remember how many machines in wooden cabinets I have seen with water rings on them. Use a lamp on top or a decorative piece or whatever else you have but keep the plants (or fish tank!!) off so you don't water them there. I ruined several books in a bookcase by over watering a plant I had sitting in front of the books. So very mad at myself!!!!! PS: Looks like the worn decals on the top of the machine were probably from a pin holder that was commonly sort of strapped around that upper area to make them easily accessible while sewing, don't you think?

Last edited by KLO; 12-05-2014 at 02:07 PM.
Old 12-05-2014, 07:47 PM

Evy,
I have 2 machines just like yours, a 1916 and 1921. They are lovely machines, I use them quite a bit for piecing quilt tops.
Sharon
Old 12-06-2014, 04:22 AM
Evy

Originally Posted by KLO
Yes, I agree, you should keep it. And even if you don't sew with it, please take the plants off the wood top as that seems to be a common ruination of the finish on the top. I cannot even remember how many machines in wooden cabinets I have seen with water rings on them. Use a lamp on top or a decorative piece or whatever else you have but keep the plants (or fish tank!!) off so you don't water them there. I ruined several books in a bookcase by over watering a plant I had sitting in front of the books. So very mad at myself!!!!! PS: Looks like the worn decals on the top of the machine were probably from a pin holder that was commonly sort of strapped around that upper area to make them easily accessible while sewing, don't you think?
I told my husband that his mom probably had a piece of cloth wrapped around the top for pins. I know that when I learned on ours, my mom had one tied on. The wood has more scars and rings than you can imagine. For five years after my MIL died it was in the care of a not so careful grandaughter who really abused it. The plant probably will not spill onto the machine, but your are right. I will move it and set something else there. I do want to leave it open. Even though the decals are worn it's still really pretty since I cleaned it up a little.