Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • Nicholls' Ntapryze Vibrating shuttle identification help >
  • Nicholls' Ntapryze Vibrating shuttle identification help

• Nicholls' Ntapryze Vibrating shuttle identification help

Old 08-21-2023, 05:42 AM

Default Nicholls' Ntapryze Vibrating shuttle identification help

I'm having trouble figuring out who made this machine. It is a Nicholls' Enterprise (stylized on the machine itself as Ntapryze) but the manual says Enterprise. It came from Rochdale, just outside Manchester, and Nicholls was located in Market Hall, Rochdale according to the cover of the manual that came with it. I bought it from the granddaughter of the original owner. The granddaughter brought it to Canada in the 60s, with her when she emigrated from England. The granddaughter speculated that it was originally purchased new in the 1920s but had no documentation of that. The stitch length controller includes reverse (up), everything else is fairly self evident. It doesn't look like any of the Jones models and digging through fiddlebase and needlebar has resulted in nothing that looks like it. I'd appreciate any pointers.

Old 08-21-2023, 06:44 AM

I don't know anything about your machine, but just wanted to say that it is gorgeous!
    Old 08-21-2023, 07:48 AM

Wow! Absolutely stunning machine! I cannot help you either but thank you for the image!
    Old 08-21-2023, 05:13 PM

Why thank you. I thought so too but was second in line to purchase. Was very excited when the first individual not only said he wasn't planning on adding it to his collection, but offered to pick it up for me since he lived near the seller. I got to meet him, have a nice chat, see his collection, and get this machine, all in the same visit. Well worth the trip.
    Old 08-21-2023, 06:51 PM

There's some info on Victorian Sweatshop https://www.victoriansweatshop.com/p...uttle-12694730
    Old 08-21-2023, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by cashs_mom
    There's some info on Victorian Sweatshop https://www.victoriansweatshop.com/p...uttle-12694730
    That's my thread. 😁
    Old 08-22-2023, 04:37 PM

That is too funny! Great pictures on the link to your other page.

Here are my thoughts. This is definitely older than 1960s that you mentioned in the Victorian Sweatshop. .Is yours a treadle and hand-crank operated? Is it a Coffin top or just sitting on a desk of similar color to the top?. How big is the throat area? How light (weight) is this beautiful Enterprise of Nicholl's? Purchased new in 1920s seems rational but a bit earlier wouldn't surprise me either. What is amazing is that you have the manual and this one looks brand new! What a treasure! You should take a field trip to England to find more of them!
    Old 08-22-2023, 05:00 PM

Absolutely would love a trip to England. I have cousins i could visit.

The 60s date was when the last owner, grand daughter of original owner, emigrated from England.