Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • Odd Kenmore Button Holder Attachment >
  • Odd Kenmore Button Holder Attachment

• Odd Kenmore Button Holder Attachment

Old 07-03-2013, 09:24 PM

Default Odd Kenmore Button Holder Attachment

I picked this up today and have no idea how it works (no Manual) or which Kenmore it works with. I'm inclucding a link that show what it is/looks like. I haven't taken a picture of the one I got. The only different with the one I picked up is the needle plate is not the same.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...6#ht_479wt_646
    Old 07-03-2013, 10:05 PM

You need that plate with the gear on it to make it work. That gear rotates and moves the whole buttonhole attachment and the fabric around to create the buttonhole.

Hard to say which machine it goes with. Each of my two Kenmores has a different style of buttonhole attachment.

I'd look on eBay and see if you can find one with that information.

Last edited by mlmack; 07-03-2013 at 10:11 PM.
    Old 07-04-2013, 12:06 AM

Thanks Mark, I'll have to take a photo of the needle plate which has spaces for the feet that came with this one. It does have the 3 feet, one is plastic on the bottom, like those that hold buttons. Has that funny tri plastic thing. I just never saw or should say noticed one like this before? I did a search trying to find a manual for it and which Kenmore machine it would work with.
    Old 07-04-2013, 12:57 AM

I found out which Kenmore it works with the 1410 and yes it is missing the one plate with the gear. Here is the youtube video that shows how it works. This video show 2 different buttonholders and the last one shown is the odd one.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZWNyQzgcRc
    Old 07-04-2013, 03:26 AM

Some of the Kenmore 158-xxxxxxx series uses that type of button holler. You remove the bobbin cover plate, instal the button holler drive plate and then put the button holler on. There is basically two versions of this that I know of. The flat bed which is what is on the eBay site, and the free arm type. The drive unit is the difference, the button holler itself it the same.

They are very easy to use. Much better than the built in button hollers modern machines have.

Joe
    Old 07-04-2013, 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by caroloto
    I found out which Kenmore it works with the 1410 and yes it is missing the one plate with the gear. Here is the youtube video that shows how it works. This video show 2 different buttonholders and the last one shown is the odd one.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZWNyQzgcRc
    Thanks so much for the link. I have a similar Kenmore and hadn't used the buttonholer yet. This video took away any hesitation to do so.
    Old 07-04-2013, 12:43 PM

Interesting Joe there are 2 types and they work with the 158 series. The 1410 # is 158-1410 or a 158-14100 but from what I also found it works on the 158-904 and who knows maybe some other 158? Now I don't own a Kenmore 158 series and I not really into collecting Kenmores. The needle plate it came with is part # 35269, has 3 feet one is a 1/4", a zipper and a normal or zig zag foot, that odd triangle/rectiangle plastic thing that to me sort of like a needle threader (?) and the button holder has 5 different sizes, plus the case is in great shape. It looks to be in like new condition. I really don't need it and if anyone would need it (lol) just message me. I just woud want what it cost ($3.) and shipping.
    Originally Posted by J Miller
    Some of the Kenmore 158-xxxxxxx series uses that type of button holler. You remove the bobbin cover plate, instal the button holler drive plate and then put the button holler on. There is basically two versions of this that I know of. The flat bed which is what is on the eBay site, and the free arm type. The drive unit is the difference, the button holler itself it the same.

They are very easy to use. Much better than the built in button hollers modern machines have.

Joe
    Old 07-04-2013, 02:41 PM

interesting thread i've recently brought 2 of these green button hole makers for kenmores i have a old kenmore and now i learn how to use these button hole makers to find out my machine is older and the gear plate wont fit but i believe my machine was made to use one just a different gear plate the model # of my machine is 158.13201. i was going to throw away this old machine but couldnt bring myself to do it so dug last year and couldn't find the cord. so i guess i'll be watching for brown button makers for this machine.
    Old 07-05-2013, 04:23 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by caroloto
    I picked this up today and have no idea how it works (no Manual) or which Kenmore it works with. I'm inclucding a link that show what it is/looks like. I haven't taken a picture of the one I got. The only different with the one I picked up is the needle plate is not the same.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...6#ht_479wt_646
    I have the directions for how to use that. If you would like me to send you a copy personal email me....