An oddity question about 301

Old 11-20-2023, 06:01 AM

Default An oddity question about 301

Currently, I"m using my 301 primarily. It does this really odd thing. (I'm using the knee thingy.) The darn machine will go 90 mph, which I like. With no change in the stitch-per-inch lever, when I go slow the stitches are normal as set by the lever. However, when I'm going 90 mph, the stitches per inch get really dense. I don't suppose it's a real problem, except seam ripping is difficult with such dense stitches.
It just seems odd that the feed dogs don't keep up with the foot pedal.
bkay
Old 11-20-2023, 06:13 AM

Two thoughts: 1. Do you have enough presser foot pressure?, 2. Under the bed, the black knob that raises and lowers the feed dogs, is it tightened all the way turning clockwise to raise them up, and with the dogs all the way up when you cycle the machine can you see them coming up over the plate?
Old 11-20-2023, 06:23 AM

I'll check later today. Thanks, Joe.
bkay
Old 11-20-2023, 06:31 AM

One other thing after checking those, without a needle and thread, empty bobbin case, run some cloth through at varying speeds and stitch lengths, see what happens. There could be something about the thread and cloth weight affecting this, not sure why I'm thinking that, just wondering.
Old 11-21-2023, 03:48 PM
Power Poster

I'm envious that yours sews so fast... I have two 301s and they both sew just a moderate speed. They don't go fast as you described. I'm used to sewing on my Juki that does high speed sewing. The 301 machines feel like a turtle compared to it.
Old 11-22-2023, 06:53 AM

I still haven't gotten back to sewing...getting ready for Thanksgiving. Will report sometime this weekend.
bk
Old 11-22-2023, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
I'm envious that yours sews so fast... I have two 301s and they both sew just a moderate speed. They don't go fast as you described. I'm used to sewing on my Juki that does high speed sewing. The 301 machines feel like a turtle compared to it.
It might be a problem with your controller. When they get old, they sometimes get out of "tune". There are several videos on youtube.com on how to tune them up (adjust them so they make better contact).

bkay
Old 11-27-2023, 05:10 AM

It's not the "drop feed" function that's amiss. It's fully up to it's highest point. It may well be the presser foot pressure. I was working on learning free motion quilting. I gave up on this machine and decided to order a free motion foot for my 15-91 (which I haven't done). I'll work on the pressure foot pressure and see if that is the problem.

Thanks, Joe.

bk
Old 11-30-2023, 06:30 AM

I've not exactly done testing to be sure what the problem is, but I messed with the pressure foot pressure a while back while trying out free motion quilting (not easy to do). I'm assuming that's the problem and will report back it I find out otherwise. (I'm getting my 401 out of the shop soon!!!. I'll be glad to have it back.)

bk