Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • oh no!  I am a machine with no attachments! >
  • oh no! I am a machine with no attachments!

• oh no! I am a machine with no attachments!

Old 02-09-2014, 12:38 PM

I should have stuck to Singers - this top clamp stuff is getting a bit out of hand LOL!!

I've got machines that take 2, 2.5, 4,6,8,12,14,16,18 and hopefully soon 20.5 (boye size).

I sort of decided I wanted to get a machine to go with each of the 12 Boye shuttle types, but I may give up on the less common, as they were for older machines that may not have stayed in production (or may already have been out) around 1910.

After all the machines get cleaned and adjusted, I'm going to start playing around with different needles and shuttles.
    Old 02-09-2014, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by Rodney
    Finding the correct needle for the older machines seems to be an art in itself. So far I've been lucky in acquiring machines that use the standard 15x1 needle system. We do have a Brunswick labeled VS machine in storage that I haven't started on yet. I'm hoping regular needles fit it too.
    Rodney
    Rodney, ISMACS needle list is your friend, I downloaded it. Brunswick takes 20x1, or Boye #14, unless its a rotary in which case it's Boye #21.
    Old 02-09-2014, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by Macybaby
    I should have stuck to Singers - this top clamp stuff is getting a bit out of hand LOL!!

I've got machines that take 2, 2.5, 4,6,8,12,14,16,18 and hopefully soon 20.5 (boye size).

I sort of decided I wanted to get a machine to go with each of the 12 Boye shuttle types, but I may give up on the less common, as they were for older machines that may not have stayed in production (or may already have been out) around 1910.

After all the machines get cleaned and adjusted, I'm going to start playing around with different needles and shuttles.
    Yeah, well I decided no more Singers or Kenmores or 15 Clones, or Japanese Zig Zags, but I do like tinkering with Nationals, Eldredges etc. And the Damascus Grand Rotary is working peachy, once I got a needle closer to what it's supposed to have. I put in a 20x1, which isn't what's wanted for these, should be a Boye #21 which is about 1/16" shorter, but it worked. Actually it was mostly working with a 15x1 needle too. I have some of the correct needles coming, I'll be interested if I can tell the diff. I though I'd found a couple attachments for it, but they didn't fit it, too high. I don't know what they were supposed to fit as I don't have a Domestic, or old Kenmore or White, ...yet. Now there is a nice looking White model 77 at the local thriftshop, in a cabriole leg cabinet, and it looks in primo shape, but they're asking $49 for it, so maybe I'll watch and wait, 2 weeks from now it drops to $25... Then I'll need some more styles of top mounts. I just scored a Famous buttonholer for Eldredge,that looks so heavy!
    Old 02-10-2014, 04:19 AM

Did you get a bottonholer with the needle plate feed dog cover, or one with the style that mounts with the bed screw?

I bought one for my Eldredge, and the plate cover is smaller than that on my Two Spool, though all the holes are in the right spot, it's just a bit smaller around on the curved part.

I bought it specifically to get a feed dog cover plate for that machine, so that was a drag. I don't have any other National made rotary machines.

If you are looking at Domestic/White/kenmore - depending on age, they may all be made by White.

BTW - the really high top clamp feet fit Standard machines. The Domestic I'm talking about is pre Sears (which is pre-White) and they were made for slip on feet, not top clamp, though they could be converted but I've not found feet with the offset. It is really significant, like the needle hole is alongside the outer edge of the presser bar. Farther over than even the Davis.

I've been going through my stuff again, and I've got a lot of extra feet, and some complete sets. I've got a lot of extras for the latest made group (rotary - cardboard box) - White/Domestic, Free/New Home and National.

I've got some extras of the older style (rotary and VS - metal box).

If you want an example of each, send me a PM. My rates are very affordable, just as Joe. LOL!!
    Old 02-10-2014, 11:01 AM

Macybaby. I PM'd you....
    Old 02-10-2014, 11:14 AM

Got it- I'm determined to get my pile of "extras" way, way down.

I've been sorting through other "vintage" stuff, I've got laces and ribbons and lots and lots of fabric scraps. I didn't start on my own until about a year ago, so this summer I got a good jump start by buying up a bunch from an estate - the lady had been quilting for over 50 years, and I bought a truck full of "stuff". I've given away a lot, but I really have no business buying anything new - I've got more on hand than I can use in my lifetime LOL!!