Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • OK all you vintage enthusiasts, I need help >
  • OK all you vintage enthusiasts, I need help

• OK all you vintage enthusiasts, I need help

Old 06-04-2014, 08:01 PM

Arianna,

I sincerely doubt the treadle is messed up for good. It's likely some user adjustments required. With some information, I bet we can figure that one out too.

Same thing with the 301 (A 301 and a 301A are the same machine, both are slant needles) Only the original 301s came without the "A" designation. Is that what yours says on it? Most of us call a 301A a 301. The "A" means it's US made (in the "A"nderson factory)

If you thread the machine with 2 different colors, I think you're going to find that all of the nest is top thread. It's important to know which one it is, so that we adjust the right one.

For testing to see if your upper tensioner is functioning correctly, try this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxtQO2XSB4s It's a video I made, and it requires no dis-assembly. If we know that the top is working right, then we have somewhere to go. Let us know what number you get the proper deflection from the needle at. For tensioners that I rebuild, it's usually between 3 and 5, and I aim for 4 - 4.5.

The bobbin tension screw - which one are you turning? There's one that's supposed to be fairly tight, and one that should be about 2/3 - 3/4 of a turn from tight. I suspect that if the adjustment screw is full tight, it's because there's grunge under the spring and someone made it tighter to compensate.

This is how to clean it: http://www.archaicarcane.com/tear-it...e-maintenance/

The reason the machine is likely bound up now is that a thread has slipped in behind the hook base. It's common and the manual (or some of them at least) shows how to get it out, but I like this pictorial better:
    http://thefeatherweight221factory.co...MachineJam.php

I know you said you don't want to take anything apart but most of what I'm showing you is regular user maintenance for a featherweight (the bobbin tension aside - it's one small step past "regular" maintenance into remedial)
    Old 06-05-2014, 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by Ariannaquilts
    .....can anyone tell me what is the major difference between the 301 and the 301A??
    As far as I know, the Singer 301 machine was already in production when the executive decision was made to add the letter “A” to machines made in Anderson SC. At that point, they began adding an “A” to the model numbers being made at that plant. Otherwise, any minor differences between a 301 and a 301A don’t have much to do with the “A”, other than age.

CD in Oklahoma
    Old 06-05-2014, 07:53 AM

Decided to start out trying to figure out what happened yesterday and noticed something that I just happened to see on ArchaicArcane's featherweight pictorial. The finger on the bobbin case base somehow (I did not touch that at all) is not in between the two points it's supposed to be in?? Do I just go ahead and unscrew the two screws put the position finger back in and then try again? BTW I am using two color threads have black in bobbin and lavender on top. I'm guessing that somehow that finger slipped out of position but can't figure out how. The screw in the pictorial on the bobbin case is definitely a lot looser than mine. I am going to try to upload a pic so you all can see it is so flat that my smallest screw driver is not working to loosen it.
    Miriam with regard to my treadle I haven't used her in about a year maybe longer ( when Billy got sick) so I really don't even remember what happened all I know is that I followed Billy's instructions took everything apart and when I put everything back on it wouldn't sew. I did take pics during the process to make sure I did everything as I was supposed to but I just don't know what went wrong. Maybe one of these days I will try to get her going again with the help of you all.
    Old 06-05-2014, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by miriam
    What did you do to the treadle to kill it? I used a sledge hammer on a T&S and it is for sure dead.

You may need to adjust the thumb screw at the very top of your sewing machine - it adjusts the foot pressure. If you put a piece of material under your pressure foot can you pull it out? Or you may have the feed dogs dropped.
    I don't have the feed dogs dropped although thanks to you I now know how to do it and tried it. Since I just discovered the problem with the position finger should I wait until I fix that prior to adjusting the foot pressure?
    Thanks so much to all of you for working with me on this, I knew I could depend on you for the solution to this.
    Old 06-05-2014, 10:20 AM

Do I just go ahead and unscrew the two screws put the position finger back in and then try again?
    I guess it depends on which 2 screws you're referring to. There are actually 3 sets of two screws in that tiny area. Remove the 2 screws that hold the whole needleplate on, lift it about 1/4" put the finger in place, then screw the needleplate back down.

I wouldn't do that yet though. Pull that hook base off first and remove any caught threads. You have to position that finger as the last step of that reassembly anyway.

BTW I am using two color threads have black in bobbin and lavender on top.
    And it's a lavender nest or a black nest?

I'm guessing that somehow that finger slipped out of position but can't figure out how.
    likely the last time someone removed the plate to clean lint out or some such. Without being caught in between the fingers, its natural "At rest" position is downward, around the 6 'clock position.

The screw in the pictorial on the bobbin case is definitely a lot looser than mine. I am going to try to upload a pic so you all can see it is so flat that my smallest screw driver is not working to loosen it.
    Sometimes with stuck screws, it's as much of a downward push on the screwdriver as a counter clockwise turn to loosen the screw. Your tiny screwdriver may also be too weak, is the tip starting to twist?

Since I just discovered the problem with the position finger should I wait until I fix that prior to adjusting the foot pressure?
    I really do recommend working on one problem at a time. You're less likely to lose screws and patience.
    Old 06-05-2014, 10:28 AM
    Banned

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane
    ... Sometimes with stuck screws, it's as much of a downward push on the screwdriver as a counter clockwise turn to loosen the screw. Your tiny screwdriver may also be too weak, is the tip starting to twist?
    Another trick is to SLIGHTLY tighten a screw before trying to loosen it. sometimes that releases the tension/gunk
    Old 06-05-2014, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by SteveH
    Another trick is to SLIGHTLY tighten a screw before trying to loosen it. sometimes that releases the tension/gunk
    Yes! I strongly recommend against the "Tighten it until it loosens and back it off a 1/4 turn" methodology I see some people use on vehicles though.
    Old 06-05-2014, 11:22 AM

The nest is lavender so it's the top thread. I did manage to get the finger back into the correct position but the hand wheel still will not turn. I have managed to loosen the screw on the bobbin case so that is working much better, definitely was way too tight. I just can not see what is causing this issue I really don't want to take the machine apart but I really want to sew on it. I watched several video's on you tube with the 301's and they just sound so incredible when they sew. What now, I am so frustrated I keep trying to walk away and do other things then I think of something else that it might be but nothing. UGH!!!! Anyone know if the manuals online have any troubleshooting info in them, because my manual doesn't have any at all???
    Old 06-05-2014, 11:28 AM
    Banned

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane
    Yes! I strongly recommend against the "Tighten it until it loosens and back it off a 1/4 turn" methodology I see some people use on vehicles though.
    woah... I have been working on cars as a hobbyist for 30+ years and have NEVER heard of that method... Torque settings are there for a reason.
    Old 06-05-2014, 11:29 AM
    Power Poster

basic trouble shooting is good with most machines.