Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • Old style Aluminum sewing machines. >
  • Old style Aluminum sewing machines.

• Old style Aluminum sewing machines.

Old 06-01-2013, 08:08 AM

i am so jealous you all find these beautiful machines. maybe i will spend my money on one threw craigs list or shopgoodwill. has anyone found an honest seller on craigs list. shopgoodwill has some nice ones too.
    Old 06-01-2013, 08:38 AM

i found one like this yesterday, i think mine will need to be rewired and some cleaning. what i need to know is what is the best way to remove the dirt ?
    Old 06-01-2013, 11:42 AM

debra,

I know two honest CL sellers, me and Miriam ...

Shopgoodwill.com can be dishonest by omission, but I've never caught them in a outright lie. The problem with them is packing. Some of the warehouses pack great, others are a sin.

When you buy from anyone, don't just glance at the pics. Look closely at them. I sometimes download the pics to my computer and run them through my photo programs to enhance them. Even then I sometimes miss things.

With CL, if something doesn't sound right, or look right, ask for more pics or info. If the seller doesn't want to give it, pass on it.

wayne,

Clean the oldies with sewing machine oil and cotton balls, flannel or make up removing pads. Be real careful around the decals.
    The old machines were painted first, then the decals were put on, and then a coat of shellack was applied over that. Over the years much of the shellack will have been worn away and the decals will be vulnerable.

There is several threads on here from Glenn. It's in a currently running thread posted by Miriam but I don't remember the title of the thread. I'll link to it if I find it.

Joe
    Old 06-02-2013, 02:51 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by J Miller
    Cathy,

Thanks for the pics. We've been kind of wanting one of those dual control White machines to play with. Haven't gotten one yet.

The serial number on my White Dressmaster is 127-75859. So I guess that makes it a model 127. That partially matches what I was told. I was told it was a 127M. But I don't know enough about these White machines to know how to tell what makes the difference.

Joe
    you do??? I thought you said you had one???
    Old 06-02-2013, 02:54 AM
    Power Poster

I have a really light weight machine with the tag from the store on it. It sews real nice, too. What is HEAVY is the box it is in and the case. Then I have one like it only heavy but it is Kenmore. Ok so the picture loading failed.
    Old 06-02-2013, 02:47 PM

Miriam,

No we haven't gotten one of the Dual control Whites yest. I think we've bid one but never won.

Joe
    Old 06-03-2013, 09:04 PM

Joe here is one of the Dual control Whites for you listed on cl and price is right! Antique White Rotary Sewing Machine - $35 (Loves Park) I am looking to sell a White Rotary 77mg series sewing machine. It is in working condition. It comes with attachments and the original owners manual. Asking for $35. Call 815-218-0603 for more information. http://rockford.craigslist.org/atq/3792441161.html
    Old 06-04-2013, 05:20 AM

caroloto,

I'll remember your offer, but right now we're on a machine buying hiatus. We're out of funds. I'm trying to put some on CL myself, but with the flooded basement, and other things I'm not making much progress.
    Thanks for the link, that's a nice machine.
    Joe
    Old 06-04-2013, 09:48 PM

Joe that is not my machine, it's been listed a while now and the price has dropped a lot! Yet I do own one myself that in a cabinet and must say it has become my favorite to sew with. I use it all the time for all my straight stitching, it has power and does a perfect stitch no matter what thickness I put on her.

I hope you are able to add one to your collection and I was sorry to hear about your flood.