the ones that got away

Old 10-11-2013, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by SteveH
MY Grandmothers Singer 66 treadle. When my Grandmother passed my uncle "cleared out the junk" in their 120 year old western NY house..... ALL of this went to the local landfill.

Singer 66 redeye Treadle in 6 drawer oak cabinet
19th century wood burning kitchen stove (original to the house)
~300' quarter sawn oak 6" baseboards
5 boxes of old tools.....
100+ year old oak kitchen table & chairs set (original to the house)
My grandfathers old book collection
This literally made me feel sick. He could have at least posted a classified ad in the free section so that the stuff wouldn't go to the landfill. He would have saved himself the trouble of carting it. And why did he rip out the baseboards? Or had they already been ripped out during a previous renovation? (That would be pretty crazy, too.)

I've had 3 machines "get away". I gave away two vintage riccars when I bought my 401 about 10 years ago. One was a 15 clone, and the other was a green and white zz machine, all metal except for the side/nose cover. And my very first vintage machine, a Singer 15 in a mahogany cabinet was stolen when I loaned it to a friend. But none of these are really "special", so I'm not still kicking myself over them.
Old 10-11-2013, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
Do any of you feel any sadness, remorse, or regret at machines that 'got away' before you knew any better?

I had an aqua (blue green) Singer - it didn't work well, so I took it to a shop to be fixed and given to charity - wonder if it did get passed on? I had not idea that it was 'something special'

My Mom had some machines that 'got away' from me. I didn't know where to put them at the time - and some I knew needed fixing and didn't know if they could be repaired. And some I was just plain dumb about.
It's not really one I let get away. It's one that I only recently wish I had had enough wisdom to keep track of so many years ago! In the 50s and 60s my mom sewed many of my outfits on a beautiful blue sewing machine that I swear said 'Compaq' on it. She has no idea whatever happened to it and neither do I. Does anyone else remember such a machine? Or is my memory faulty?
Old 10-11-2013, 04:20 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Redsquirrel
Wow, yeah, that would make me feel upset with myself too, but this happens. If I new that my Strawberry Shortcake dolls from the 80's were going to be as collectible as they are now, I would never have let my mom get rid of them. I'm using that as an example not a comparison.
Ha I would have made sure my DD did not cut Strawberry Shortcake's hair or use a marker on her little body...
Old 10-12-2013, 02:00 AM

The one that got away from me was the Singer that I learned to sew on, it belonged to my Aunt Eleanor. She took me and my cousin Chrissy to the local Singer store at Eastland Shopping Center in McKeesport Pa just outside of Pittsburgh to learn to sew. I remember the dress I made, it took me all summer.

My cousin Carol Jean threw it in the garbage when they remodeled the basement, can you believe it? i would have never thought to ask for that machine, i thought my cousins should have it. Thank God my aunt had already given me my grandmothers machine.

All I remember is that it was a mocha color and it was in a blonde cabinet, i know good luck with that. Wish I had a picture.
Old 10-12-2013, 02:07 AM
Power Poster

I have a 301 in a blonde cabinet.
Old 10-12-2013, 03:12 AM

I sold my 1886 m wards treadle when I moved a few years ago. I am sorry that I ever let that go. never again. It was beautiful and curvy and worked great. Makes me tear up just thinking about it.
Old 10-12-2013, 11:24 AM

I bought a brand new serger. I opened the lid, took out the directions and the pictures nearly frightened me to death! All those needles, all that thread! What was i thinking? I took it back to the store. The lady said,"sorry. All sales are final".
Flash forward 24 years
a board friend of mine said she was looking for a cheap serger for a young mother who wanted to make clothes for her little ones. Awwwwww! I said if she'll pay the postage she can have mine. It's never even been out of the box. I taped the only open flap down, and stuck it in the mail. WHAT was i thinking...???????
Old 10-12-2013, 12:01 PM
Power Poster

The one my mother had was I'm told because I don't remember a Kenmore. I wanted to use it but was just told I didn't know how to sew. Hurt my feelings big time. When I asked where it went I was told so and so had it. She said no. Then a couple weeks ago I had mentioned it on FB and by the information in the conversation I believe it was sold to her sister. When I stated it sat in my parents' bedroom with a big flat (about 3" high) cookie tin with buttons then all of a sudden she remembered it. Now I'm pretty sure where it is. The only consolation I have is knowing that the woman who has it is very OCD about being neat and tidy and maintaining what she has. Then the one my DH sat out on the curb. he got it for $10.00 and worked on it til he got it to upholster his 74 Nova. he says I told him to put it out there. I can't believe I would say such a thing. Boo hooo waaaaaaahhh waaaahhh. I'm going to have one of his beers, That'll learn him. Won't bring the machines back though.
Old 10-12-2013, 12:07 PM
Power Poster

The biggest time sewing machines got away from me was the first time I was ever at an auction. I bid on a bunch of stuff and did pretty well and was hoping for more. Then the auctioneer decided to sell 60 machines in a lot. He looked at me and announced a number. I sat there and thought and thought. My biggest thought was HOW WILL THOSE FIT IN THE TRUCK??????? Then an Amish man piped up and bought all 60 for the price I was waffling about. I asked him if he wanted to sell any and he said no. He piled them all in a big stack on the back of a pick up truck and waved bye bye... Yup those got away. OH and then he sent me a letter wanting to know where to buy parts. I figured he HAD parts... About half of the machines he got were plastic wonders but that's ok there weren't any cords anyway.
Old 10-12-2013, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by AliceQ
It's not really one I let get away. It's one that I only recently wish I had had enough wisdom to keep track of so many years ago! In the 50s and 60s my mom sewed many of my outfits on a beautiful blue sewing machine that I swear said 'Compaq' on it. She has no idea whatever happened to it and neither do I. Does anyone else remember such a machine? Or is my memory faulty?
Was it this one? (below the FW)
http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...ml#post3530597