• Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • Opinions Please - Should I buy this?? >
  • Opinions Please - Should I buy this??

• Opinions Please - Should I buy this??

Old 10-03-2013, 05:05 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by frudemoo
    Okay, I'll chuck in my Aussie 2c worth too ... I've got a featherweight and a 99K. They are both in the most beautiful condition and I would say that the 99 has a better straight stitch (by the finest lint fibre) but the Featherweight is stupendously adorable and it has reverse, which the 99K doesn't. So if you think you'll tire easily of something that only goes forwards, there are so many other machines you could buy which would be better (a 201 for starters).

I just bought my 99K for $60 and it is absolutely pristine, in a gorgeous bentwood case with knee control... and Mike's most recent 201 he got for $10 (which is ridiculous) but you should be able to get a really nice one for $60 if you wait, even in WA. I think he's right that you won't get a featherweight for less than $250. Maybe $200 if you're really really lucky. I say that because I got my 222K for $300 (ish) and they usually go for a lot more... so the 'finds' are out there

Hope this helps a little. If you like the 99K and would enjoy using a beautiful straight stitch machine without the reverse, then you should feel good about buying it if you want to
    That machine HAS reverse.
    Old 10-03-2013, 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by miriam
    That machine HAS reverse.
    Yes, I amended my post pretty quickly!!
    Old 10-03-2013, 05:14 AM
    Power Poster

I just saw one this weekend here for $125. I'm always surprised that there is so much variation in prices around the world. People say "just get a featherweight for classes". It took me literally years to even locate one, let alone a bargain basement price!!
    Old 10-03-2013, 05:16 AM
    Power Poster

There are many really good old sewing machines besides the FW. It is too bad people don't look around much - they tend to travel in herds. Just get a case with wheels to tote the heavier old machines. I'm guessing the 99 would be faster.
    Old 10-03-2013, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by miriam
    There are many really good old sewing machines besides the FW. It is too bad people don't look around much - they tend to travel in herds. Just get a case with wheels to tote the heavier old machines. I'm guessing the 99 would be faster.
    It's true that there are many that are better, but none that are cuter ... Except my Juki! LOL. Actually, I did see this amazing Meister machine that looked super cute and had a 6mm stitch length (!!!) which I am still kicking myself for not bidding more on. I found a pic of one on Needlebar but nowhere else.

Personally, I like to buy a machine that sews really well (and has some nice features) or it has to look stupendously amazingly cool and then I'm happy just to look at it. The Featherweight is borderline (cuteness was not something that appealed to me previously) but I am into it because it's the 222 - I'm not interested in 221s. The 201 is a great SS machine but I also have an industrial so I like the portability and the knee control. The 99K is completely superfluous to my collection/needs but if I didn't have the others, I would love that machine. It does go a lot faster than the 222, for sure.

Actually, I should add a shout-out for the Bernina 640-2 - such a beautfiful machine, possibly my absolute favourite (haha 'favorit' - get it?) and I think they are under-appreciated. Nobody ever talked about this series on the Bernina Yahoo Group. Another one to keep an eye out for!

Last edited by frudemoo; 10-03-2013 at 05:26 AM. Reason: afterthought...
    Old 10-03-2013, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by frudemoo

Actually, I should add a shout-out for the Bernina 640-2 - such a beautfiful machine, possibly my absolute favourite (haha 'favorit' - get it?) and I think they are under-appreciated. Nobody ever talked about this series on the Bernina Yahoo Group. Another one to keep an eye out for!
    See and that's funny. I own about 10 Berninas (9 of them vintage) and the 640-2 is probably my least favorite (Favorit). LOL.
    Old 10-03-2013, 09:52 AM
    Power Poster

It is a 99K I have one, very nice machine.
    Old 10-03-2013, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by manicmike
    Featherweights are very easy to discern from 99s. They're both small, but if you haven't seen a FW before it doesn't help to know that they're smaller. The featherweights have a hinged extension just left of the sewing area. Here's a picture of a 222k with the extension up (it folds up to go into the case):
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]439473[/ATTACH]

<snip>
    If you want a really special machine, you need a 222k. Saw one go for $750 a few weeks ago on eBay: Had to pick my jaw off the floor.
    The other way to tell a FW from a 99 (even besides the black or white flip up lid case vs the lemongrass or bentwood cases, is a FW tends to look "boxy", quite square compared to the more bell shaped parts of the 99.

$750 is below the going rate in most countries for a 222. The prices you guys are finding them for is common for a regular 221 in most places. Yes, I got my 222 for about the same price, but no one I've talked to thinks that the person selling it knew what they had, and she needed a fair bit of TLC.

Originally Posted by manicmike
    Featherweights can be picked up easily in one hand and have 221k or 222k where this one has 99k (bottom of the pillar).
    Not all of the FWs or 99s will have the 221k or the 99K on the pillar. That only started somewhere in the mid 50s ish? Neither of my 221s have it (1950 and uh... 1948. Thank goodness for a stash program with my equipment in it. ) The 1940 99 doesn't have a badge, the 1958 99K does have a badge, and Eliza (the 222) from 1957 has the badge.
    Old 10-03-2013, 01:05 PM

The slide plate might be underneath the machine. Often people don't know how to put them on again.
    Its a 99 and they sew very well, however it weighs in at about 30 pounds.
    Sharon
    Old 10-03-2013, 01:57 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by purplefiend
    The slide plate might be underneath the machine. Often people don't know how to put them on again.
    Its a 99 and they sew very well, however it weighs in at about 30 pounds.
    Sharon
    Yup and the weight might keep it on the table.