painting an older machine?

Old 05-02-2012, 09:58 AM

Well, just let me know... it ain't going anywhere!
Old 05-03-2012, 08:45 AM

I wouldn't use "for plastic" paint. Use a good metal paint, primer first though, if you want it to stay on. Get bids from an auto repair or hotorod shop. They can make a little on "waste paing" and you will have a finish that will last and will look good. It may cost more up front, but would be a good value down the road.
Old 05-04-2012, 05:15 PM

Well, I bit the bullet tonight. I hadn't really had a chance to look the machine over. It's yellowed anyway, so why not?! I wiped it down with fingernail polish remover to take the shine off. Worked well! I put a layer of pink on it and didn't like it at all. It looked like "My first sewing machine by Playtex"! So I took that off and put a layer of orange on it. It's going to take SEVERAL coats. I'm going to let it sit over night and do another coat in the morning. Right now, it looks more like Tanning Mom than a Harley so I'll save pics until the very end
Old 05-04-2012, 05:24 PM

Sounds like fun! Of course, if it were the last remaining model of a classic, museum quality machine you might be in trouble. But I think we get a little crazy about tradition sometimes. Art takes many forms. Looking forward to seeing your masterpiece!
Old 05-04-2012, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by LynnVT
Sounds like fun! Of course, if it were the last remaining model of a classic, museum quality machine you might be in trouble. But I think we get a little crazy about tradition sometimes. Art takes many forms. Looking forward to seeing your masterpiece!
Lol, it's a Brother I got for $7 off Craigslist! I'm planning on MAKING it a classic, museum quality machine!
Old 05-04-2012, 10:43 PM

Somewhere on youtube is a video showing a woman demonstrating some technique, and the machine she's using has hand painted flowers all over it. I can't find the bookmark, and search wouldn't pick it up because nothing was said about the machine. Anyway, the sky's the limit. If you make a unique machine with the idea of selling it you can expect excellent returns for your effort, judging by prices I've seen on others. Of course the machine has to be one that would be worth having with or without fancy paint, but there are plenty of ugly ducklings out there that would qualify.

I think the Harley decal idea is great because it might make sewing more attractive to some guy who would otherwise shun it as a feminine pursuit, or maybe it would help convince people that a lot of these old machines that they thought of as potential boat anchors are actually marvels of engineering that deserve respect.