Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • Passed by a Singer 401 A on the sidewalk... >
  • Passed by a Singer 401 A on the sidewalk...

• Passed by a Singer 401 A on the sidewalk...

Old 07-05-2013, 06:45 PM

Wonder if its still there
    Old 07-05-2013, 06:46 PM

I'm going to have to look at my neighbors trash a little closer.
    Old 07-05-2013, 07:24 PM

I couldn't have resisted it, and I certainly don't need another machine either...
    Since says she was kilometres instead of miles away from home probably not here in the US...
    Old 07-06-2013, 07:36 AM

Ack! You just left it there??? I would *never* pass up a 401 on a sidewalk, haha! I'd snatch that or a Rocketeer any day and sell it on ebay or Craigslist. Even if it's damaged, it can be parted out. I keep screwdrivers in my car, because you never know... ;-D
    Old 07-07-2013, 07:16 AM

Thank you all for not making me feel CRAZY for even having considered rescuing yet another machine.

The truth is, I did call a friend with a car a few hours later, to tell her about it in case she wanted it for herself. She did go to get it, and alas it was gone already. Don't worry, it was good weather that day, and if there was -any- sign of rain on the way I would have gone back without bike, and with wheeley cart, in order to rescue it lest it should still be abandoned.

I hope it went to a wonderful home. It did look like a -very- good machine.

I must must must fight my disease (MachinusMustusRescuitus). I fear I am going to die a lonely death in an airless room surrounded by old mechanical stitchers. Should this ever happen, I hope you will all come to my funeral. ;-) Decorate my grave with oddball bobbins and inscriptions from old manuals. ;-)
    Old 07-07-2013, 09:04 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Cecilia S.
    Thank you all for not making me feel CRAZY for even having considered rescuing yet another machine.

The truth is, I did call a friend with a car a few hours later, to tell her about it in case she wanted it for herself. She did go to get it, and alas it was gone already. Don't worry, it was good weather that day, and if there was -any- sign of rain on the way I would have gone back without bike, and with wheeley cart, in order to rescue it lest it should still be abandoned.

I hope it went to a wonderful home. It did look like a -very- good machine.

I must must must fight my disease (MachinusMustusRescuitus). I fear I am going to die a lonely death in an airless room surrounded by old mechanical stitchers. Should this ever happen, I hope you will all come to my funeral. ;-) Decorate my grave with oddball bobbins and inscriptions from old manuals. ;-)
    ROTFLMBO - I need to copy that and include it with my will - that would honk off my DIL something fierce.
    Old 07-08-2013, 01:57 PM

Y'know, something is REALLY wrong with you! You could have strapped that baby onto your bike (one set of legs on the front, the other on the front too, but facing the other way)...or you could have run and got a rope right quick and tied her on the back fender, all the while balancing her on your knee to be sure she didn't fall off, or you could have....Hello! My name is momto5 and I am a SM enabler....
    And....we just had a funeral for a much-loved SIL who was a sewist/quilter...and had fabric and needles, thread, etc. all in her family spray...wonderful!
    Old 07-08-2013, 02:48 PM
    Banned

Originally Posted by Cecilia S.
    so, will your "old mechanical stitchers" be at this funeral.... (wicked grin)

I don't think of it as an illness, but rather as a gift. "we can see machines" they talk to us....

but my daughter seem proud, she is telling her friends and her friends mom's about my "gift" in case they have any sick machines...
    Old 07-08-2013, 03:23 PM

Laughing at some of these posts..actually momto5 what a wonderful and unique way to remember your sil!
    K
    Old 07-08-2013, 03:34 PM

I have just ONE machine but I ride thru the neighborhood looking at trash....Once, years ago, I found a hump top trunk full of OLD silks and Crepes. My Friend I was with wanted the chest so I got the contents YEA!!!! Hugs