Pfaff 30

Old 09-09-2015, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by ThayerRags
I’m not much into the haggling game. The best example of when not to haggle that I ever saw, was at a yardsale where a lady didn’t like the price of an item and said she wouldn’t give that much for it. I don’t remember what the price was on it, but I thought that it was a bargain. Let’s say it was $5.

She looked around a little bit and then asked the gentleman if he would take $3 for the item. He said no, and that it was $6 or nothing. She complained that it was tagged $5, at which time he told her that it was mismarked, and should say $7. When she complained that he was raising his price every time that he priced it, he said “Yep, and if you still want it, it’s now $8, do you want to keep haggling?” She quit complaining and left.

Sometimes, haggling insults people when they have a good price on something.

CD in Oklahoma
It is actually lots of fun for us here in the north state. if you will read the ads on Craigslist for my area you will see that some people specify no low ball offers please. A lot of the ads say OBO so that lets a buyer know they are willing to bargain. Insulting people with ridiculous low ball offers is not accepted here either.

But buying from someone that takes such a hard line as in your story is also unacceptable and I would have found him to be rude. All he had to do was politely decline her offer and then say my price is firm. That probably would have nipped the whole unpleasant exchange in the bud as Barney Fife used to say....JMHO

But some of my most fun times are bargaining at the used markets. It is an artform in itself. I LUV it!

Last edited by Sunflowerzz; 09-09-2015 at 04:28 PM.
Old 09-10-2015, 06:17 AM

I find it interesting that haggling down is fun, and haggling up is rude.

CD in Oklahoma
Old 09-10-2015, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by ThayerRags
I find it interesting that haggling down is fun, and haggling up is rude.

CD in Oklahoma
I find it an effective method to get rid of an annoying person without resorting to pepper spray.
Old 09-11-2015, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Sheilz
Have come across a really lovely example of this machine though the case has a big of wear. The seller is asking for £80. Is this too much to pay for this machine. I've never had a pfaff so quite keen to add it to my very modest collection of black beauties
I just looked at Zeusmachines.com , where he specializes in Pfaff 130s and 30s. It has been a long time since I looked at his site. He is offering a Pfaff 30 portable with accessories at the price of $499.00 plus $55 shipping. Looks like the correct answer to your question is whatever you are willing to pay for what you want.