Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   $300 for a 222K (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/%24300-222k-t221994.html)

Quilt Novice 05-22-2013 05:22 AM

Use it before you buy it. Run the motor for at least a few minutes. To make sure the motor doesn't smoke! I just bought a 221 and I did run the motor for a second. Then when I got home to really test it out. It smoked. Turned out it had a lot of oil and old grease in the motor. I pulled the whole motor apart and cleaned it. Somewhat of an easy fix. But I bet I could have gotten a better price for it. Also make sure it has a bobbin case, and that the wheel turns easily.

quiltgal 05-22-2013 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by frudemoo (Post 6078431)
Thanks Monroe. I got the serial number and it looks like a 1956 model - does that mean anything to anyone? Interested to know if all 222's are the same or if earlier/later models differ in any way. I can't find any info on ISMACS or Needlebar.

I have a 222 that I bought and received shipped from England. Anything $600 or less is a bargain!
The 222s were made in Scotland for the English market with the English power only, so either a converter (which I got with mine, but did not work well) or change the motor for our power here. Wall plug will have to be changed, too.
None of that was a problem for me as my wholesale supplier has motors and everything else that I could possibly need.
By, the way 222 were made from 1953 until 1961. Serial numbers were EJ, EK, EL, EM, EN, EP, ER, and ES.
Let me know if I can help.

ArchaicArcane 05-22-2013 11:36 AM

222s also came to Canada. Because they were available here and overseas, it does lower their price a little in our market. I do see $800- 900 regularly for them here, but they move pretty fast when they're priced like that if they come with everything. I've seen them as high as $1200

I picked one up in January: http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...l-t210182.html - same price. Eliza (her official name, after my aunt, you'll see why in that thread) didn't sew when I got her. The timing was off, someone had been futzing where they shouldn't be, the "finger" was misplaced, the bobbin case was misassembled, the machine was sluggish moving. I bought her anyway. Timing is easy to set (with patience), the rest was cleaning, oil, grease, and proper assembly you would do with proper maintenance. She sews like a dream today, and looks great too.

Even if there is no bobbin case, it's still a really good deal for a 222. The bobbin case can be had from People like Glenn Williams in Florida for an original. Across the Ocean, I wonder if Helen Howes can help you...

MimiBug123 05-23-2013 12:57 AM

Assuming it's really a 222, I would get it so fast that I'd look like a blur in motion! Great price, even if you have to spend a little to get it brought up to par. One good thing about the FWs is that they are relatively cheap to repair.

amyjo 05-23-2013 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by MimiBug123 (Post 6080347)
Assuming it's really a 222, I would get it so fast that I'd look like a blur in motion! Great price, even if you have to spend a little to get it brought up to par. One good thing about the FWs is that they are relatively cheap to repair.

I have seen some priced at 1400. I would love to have one, but doesn't look possible unless I inherit one from someone. Grab and run.

frudemoo 05-23-2013 05:43 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Thanks everyone... I've hesitated (maybe too long!!) because I can't really afford it at the moment - so maybe I've missed out. I need to call her tomorrow. Sounds like it would be a great investment even if I have to stretch to grab it if I can. Here are some pics that show the condition, just to tide us all over in the meantime ...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]415018[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]415017[/ATTACH]

ArchaicArcane 05-23-2013 08:17 AM

frudemoo, I couldn't really afford Eliza either, but I'm still really glad I have her. :) In the end, I took in a few more repair jobs (computer and sewing machine) and paid her adoption fee.

ETA, yes, it's a 222. Which I'm sure you knew. :)

novicequiltergrandma 05-25-2013 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by MimiBug123 (Post 6080347)

Me too........I'd grab it so fast even if I had to get a second mortgage :shock:

frudemoo 05-27-2013 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane (Post 6080998)
frudemoo, I couldn't really afford Eliza either, but I'm still really glad I have her.

What are your favourite things about Eliza? (beautiful name, BTW - I just called my Necchi "Barbarella" because she was as dirty as a barbecue!)

earthwalker 05-27-2013 11:51 PM

Well....if you do decide to go for it, I think it would be a worthwhile investment. From the pics, there isn't a hint of corrosion or rust - even on the case latches. As a fellow Aussie...and knowing how expensive machines are here I'd be well tempted to grab it....beans on toast is pretty nutritious:)