Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   1891 Singer Model ? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/1891-singer-model-t220311.html)

SteveH 04-30-2013 07:13 AM

well patience is one of the few virtues I have left, so....

If you are willing to we can walk through it here or through Email or PM.

You can take a few specific photos, we can do some research, and go from there. Like a view of the bottom that is "straight at it", then we can ask for more from there.

Remote serviceish...

mkay 04-30-2013 07:45 AM

I have this same machine also with the cabinet and all mine is missing the front slide plate so am looking for one of them my son found it for me for Christmas present i was thrilled it such a pretty machine.

owlvamp 04-30-2013 07:52 AM

Beautiful machine.

Joyce29 04-30-2013 07:53 AM

mkay - I saw some of the slide plates on ebay. Mine has both of the slide plates but I can't get them to budge. I'm not sure what to put on them to free them up. A lot of posts say not to use WD40. I've seen some that use kerosene. I just don't want to damage the finish on the machine.

SteveH 04-30-2013 12:01 PM

NO on the WD-40 (Stands for Water Displacement formula #40) when it dries it leaves a residue that is not a lubricant and will actually stick the machine up.

Use Tri-Flo or sewing machine oil. Really. it will loosen over time. Sewing machine oil also leaves a residue (varnish) but it is not as bad as the WD-40. Tri-Flow is a silicon based product that leaves a silicon residue which is still a lubricant even when dry.

A more expensive solution is Kroil. It is a penetrating oil that is very popular with gunsmiths and the like. but it is 2x the price of the others.

Using the heat from a hairdryer will also help (be careful metal parts heat up quick)

I am currently working out a method to reliably make replacement slides for folks. I make the straight ones no problem, but the ones with the "bite" taken out are more challenging to get correct on a reliable basis. I even have a sample that I am working from to copy.

Joyce29 04-30-2013 12:54 PM

SteveH - I sent you a private message this morning about the missing bobbin. I just checked and my sent message is not there. Don't know where it when. Will try it again. Thanks for the heads up on the WD-40 and alternatives.

SteveH 04-30-2013 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Joyce29 (Post 6036396)
SteveH - I sent you a private message this morning about the missing bobbin. I just checked and my sent message is not there. Don't know where it when. Will try it again. Thanks for the heads up on the WD-40 and alternatives.

No problem, I got your message both times. I sent you an email.

Steve

Joyce29 04-30-2013 01:13 PM

I have some kerosene and sewing machine oil that came with my Janome. Will these work for loosening the slide plates without damaging the finish on the machine or decals? If not, I'll make a trip to the store for something else.

Wanabee Quiltin 04-30-2013 01:16 PM

What a cutie !!! All those flowers, no wonder you brought it home, who wouldn't ?

SteveH 04-30-2013 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Joyce29 (Post 6036446)
I have some kerosene and sewing machine oil that came with my Janome. Will these work for loosening the slide plates without damaging the finish on the machine or decals? If not, I'll make a trip to the store for something else.

Kerosene is a great cleaner but harsh on paint/decals
Oil will work just fine. It has on all 15 of the ones I have "broken loose"

I replied to your email. Simple parts needed, I included the links as well.

Steve