Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   3D printing of sewing machine parts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/3d-printing-sewing-machine-parts-t223688.html)

Monroe 06-14-2013 08:35 PM

The technology is fascinating, and practical applications are expanding. Public information about the process has become more well known due to news stories about the manufacturing of functioning weapons, esp guns. I'm mostly intrigued by the medical applications, but it would be nice to just manufacture missing machine parts.

J Miller 06-15-2013 03:05 AM

Maybe we could get replacement metal gears made for some of the Singer's with plastic gears. Or those machines that have a tendency to crack the plastic cam stacks. That would make me perk up with interest.

Joe

blueheavenfla 06-15-2013 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller (Post 6123154)
Maybe we could get replacement metal gears made for some of the Singer's with plastic gears. Or those machines that have a tendency to crack the plastic cam stacks. That would make me perk up with interest.

Joe

I wonder what the present cost for doing this is and is it likely to go down in time as usually happens with new technology?

SteveH 06-15-2013 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller (Post 6123154)
Maybe we could get replacement metal gears made for some of the Singer's with plastic gears. Or those machines that have a tendency to crack the plastic cam stacks. That would make me perk up with interest.Joe

Brilliant!! had not thought of that!

SteveH 06-15-2013 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by blueheavenfla (Post 6123548)
I wonder what the present cost for doing this is and is it likely to go down in time as usually happens with new technology?

The current cost of that gear is $35.52
It would have not been possible 1 year ago (in this market)
Next year I predict 1/2 this price...

We have time to plan..... learn simple cad.... make designs... build a library of patterns...

dellareya 06-15-2013 09:26 AM

I sent you a private PM. Hope it gets to you. This Technology is fascinating. It blew mine mind years ago when we first started hearing about 3D printers. The possibilities are endless. I've told my students about advanced technology concepts for years. So many "concepts" are now everyday reality.
P.S I also live in San Lorenzo, but only for the last 55 years.

J Miller 06-15-2013 09:34 AM

In 1966 Gene Rodenberry's Star Trek was fantastical science fiction. Now, it is reality.

I was either born 100 years too late, sigh, or 100 years too soon. Nuts!

Joe

DogHouseMom 06-15-2013 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by SteveH (Post 6122513)
Metal is done the same way but it is ultra fine metal powder mixed with a bonding agent(epoxy)
after making it they sinter (HIGH temp bake) it to remove the moisture and fuse it back into solid(ish) material

Ahhhhhh!!! I know how 3D printers work with plastics and pulp products, but had not heard of the metal powder.

how does the strength of the powder metal parts compare to regular forged metals?

J Miller 06-15-2013 06:23 PM

Sue,

Scintered (sic) metal castings are nothing new. And they can be very strong and durable. Winchester started making the receivers for the 94s lever guns from scintered metal in 1964. The powdered metal was mixed with a binder then put into a mold and super heated to melt the metal. The resulting part needed much less final machining and fitting, thus reducing costs. This was continued until about 1981. There is no lack of strength or durability with them. The only problem is this type of metal will not take a normal chemical bluing.

MIM, ( Metal Injection Molding ) is another form of manufacturing where powdered metal is used with a binder or catalyst to make parts. Again strong and durable.

I doubt it matters how the powdered metal is shaped as long as the proper heating and heat treating is done with the finished part.

Joe

quiltjoey 06-15-2013 06:35 PM

Way over my head but sounds, "way cool"!!!