Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Cleaning and repairing the Shellac clear coat on Vintage sewing machine heads (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/cleaning-repairing-shellac-clear-coat-vintage-sewing-machine-heads-t193635.html)

crocee 12-02-2013 12:03 AM

That was the only way I could find it. I bookmarked it the first time I read that tutorial. I was afraid it would get lost in the massive amount of information.

miriam 12-02-2013 02:10 AM

This site can be searched. In the upper right and down an inch or so there is a search feature - it looks like a little white blank. There is a magnifying glass next to it.

KathleenBazz 01-21-2014 09:49 AM

Wonderful tutorial.... I have a 1910 Singer treadle to work on.....

miriam 02-02-2014 06:50 AM

SOS
I have an old redeye Singer - someone put a piece of surgical/white tape on the bed maybe 60 years ago. I got quite a bit of the residue off with Naptha and some acetone but it seems like it is imbedded in the paint. More black/brown coming off at this point than white can this be gotten off or stained over?

oldsewnsew 02-02-2014 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 6434188)
This site can be searched. In the upper right and down an inch or so there is a search feature - it looks like a little white blank. There is a magnifying glass next to it.

I don't know maybe it's just me, but when I search, invariable it will point to the sticky with 43,000 replies (as well as others). No matter where I click on the search response, I don't get to the specific item. There is some great info in those stickies, but as for searching, if it's in there, it's lost. Did I miss something??

miriam 02-02-2014 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by oldsewnsew (Post 6550282)
I don't know maybe it's just me, but when I search, invariable it will point to the sticky with 43,000 replies (as well as others). No matter where I click on the search response, I don't get to the specific item. There is some great info in those stickies, but as for searching, if it's in there, it's lost. Did I miss something??

it might depend on your key words

wilburness 02-02-2014 07:21 AM

would heat help?

miriam 02-02-2014 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by wilburness (Post 6550303)
would heat help?

I doubt if heat would help - it seems to be into the paint - it is coming off with the white anyway - I had to quit and wait for an answer from Guru Glenn.

Glenn 02-02-2014 07:52 AM

Miriam try spray and wash and let it soak for awhile on the tape residue. Sometimes tape that has been on a surface for a long time the glue will melt into the shellac and can be hard to remove. I have good luck with spray and wash with tape glue. If in the paint then you will have to use alcohol and Q-tip only on the mess. Once removed you may want to shellac the area. What we are trying to do is remove the contaminated shellac.

miriam 02-02-2014 07:56 AM

I'm not sure there is much shellac left on that machine. I'll keep spray & wash around once they clean the ice off the roads.