Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Cleaning and repairing the Shellac clear coat on Vintage sewing machine heads (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/cleaning-repairing-shellac-clear-coat-vintage-sewing-machine-heads-t193635.html)

Christine- 07-04-2012 04:58 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Thank you Glenn! I bought a 'boat anchor' Wheeler and Wilson a few weeks ago. It was definitely used a great deal during it's lifetime. The paint is worn away down to bare metal around the spool pin. I'll use your method to bring her back the best I can.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]346739[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]346740[/ATTACH]

grayhare 07-04-2012 05:28 PM

Wow, the machine looks beautiful!! The Lettering that you did is PERFECT!! Great tutorial! Thank you!
Anamaria

Silver Needle 07-04-2012 05:57 PM

Glenn, what the heck is Plast Buster, where do we get it and exactly what is it for?

Glenn 07-04-2012 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Needle (Post 5339543)
Glenn, what the heck is Plast Buster, where do we get it and exactly what is it for?

I get Plast Buster at the auto store, I use it to loosen up rust and and clean all the moving parts. Some use kerosene but I use Plast buster. It is neater and can be sprayed in all the internal parts.

Glenn 07-04-2012 06:18 PM

I also don't use Tri-flow, I use sewing machine oil or a good quality clock oil and only sewing machine lub when needed for motors. Some like the Tri-flow and have had good results. I just dont use it because I am a driven by traditional methods and when the book says sewing machine oil that is what I will use. I think I forgot to mention that after cleaning oil the machine well.

path49 07-04-2012 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn (Post 5339579)
I also don't use Tri-flow, I use sewing machine oil or a good quality clock oil and only sewing machine lub when needed for motors. Some like the Tri-flow and have had good results. I just dont use it because I am a driven by traditional methods and when the book says sewing machine oil that is what I will use. I think I forgot to mention that after cleaning oil the machine well.

Glad to see you say that! I figure if sewing machine oil & Singer lubricant kept these old machines going this long, it's certainly stood the test of time. That's all I use & my machines run as smooth & quiet as the day they were made.

jeaninmaine 07-05-2012 03:50 AM

Thanks for the great tutorial, Glenn. I have a few machines that have to cleaned and these directions are just what I need. What kind of gold paint did you use to touch up the lettering?

Charlee 07-05-2012 06:14 AM

Skip...YOU ROCK!! :) Thank you!!

I still haven't figured out how to handle the finish on the Köhler...I think I may end up touching up the lettering, letting the base decals alone, and applying shellac to clear coat and preserve what's left of them.

You did a great job on that slide plate...that had some ugly to it when I sent it to you! :D

Caroline S 07-05-2012 06:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
​My candidate for Glenn's Method, the Brunswick. Too bad that the cabinet is beyond repair.

ppquilter 07-05-2012 07:29 AM

Wonderful job! Love the decals!