Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   just picked up a Kenmore m158.15000 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/just-picked-up-kenmore-m158-15000-a-t240005.html)

mlmack 02-01-2014 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by great white (Post 6547981)
You would think it's a double needle capable by the spool holders, but no.

It's only got one tension disc slot and no mention of it in the manual.

That's not to say I might not try to modify the tensioner some time in the future to see if I can get it to do double....:)

You should still be able to use a double needle even though there is only 1 set of tension discs. I have a 158.1941, with only 1 set of tension discs, and the manual mentions the use of a double needle on the needle information page.

great white 02-01-2014 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by mlmack (Post 6548079)
You should still be able to use a double needle even though there is only 1 set of tension discs. I have a 158.1941, with only 1 set of tension discs, and the manual mentions the use of a double needle on the needle information page.

Interesting.

Just reread the 1500 manual a couple times again. No mention of a double needle or option for it.

Mine is a 158.15000

Comes down to being different models I guess....

quiltmom04 02-01-2014 07:53 AM

Very cool!! I had a Kenmore that I got as a teenage that I remember looking like this. I don't remember what happened to it. I took it to college and then when I was training at various Joann Fabric store openings as part of a new management team. I was happy to see someone loving these machines - I hope I can find one someday!

mlmack 02-01-2014 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by great white (Post 6548296)
Interesting.

Just reread the 1500 manual a couple times again. No mention of a double needle or option for it.

Mine is a 158.15000

Comes down to being different models I guess....

Looks like it.

Mizkaki 02-01-2014 11:24 AM

As a general rule, if the machine has a side loaded bobbin it will not take a double needle. If two needles are placed in the needle-bar side by side, the hook will only catch the thread from one needle. The hook has to pass behind both needles to be able to catch the thread loop.

Cathy

Originally Posted by great white (Post 6547981)
You would think it's a double needle capable by the spool holders, but no.
It's only got one tension disc slot and no mention of it in the manual.

That's not to say I might not try to modify the tensioner some time in the future to see if I can get it to do double....:)

auntpiggylpn 02-01-2014 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by great white (Post 6546297)
I know you've said you've had one for a long time, but are you sure it's a 1500?

From what I can see in the manual, the door doesn't have to be opened to thread it:

You are right! I don't have to open the front to thread it. I haven't had it out in a while. . .

oldtnquiltinglady 02-01-2014 02:15 PM

If I am not mistaken, just remembering using a double needle, I used one tension disc to load two threads (but that is on my Elna). Try it, it might work......

great white 02-01-2014 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by oldtnquiltinglady (Post 6549017)
If I am not mistaken, just remembering using a double needle, I used one tension disc to load two threads (but that is on my Elna). Try it, it might work......

Will do.

I don't lay hands of it for another 3 months or so though....

mlmack 02-01-2014 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Mizkaki (Post 6548707)
As a general rule, if the machine has a side loaded bobbin it will not take a double needle. If two needles are placed in the needle-bar side by side, the hook will only catch the thread from one needle. The hook has to pass behind both needles to be able to catch the thread loop.

Cathy

Oops, looks like I didn't pay enough attention to the photo.

All of the Kenmore machines I have owned have had front loading bobbins, hence my spurious advice.

great white 02-01-2014 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by mlmack (Post 6549130)
Oops, looks like I didn't pay enough attention to the photo.

All of the Kenmore machines I have owned have had front loading bobbins, hence my spurious advice.

So, just trying to understand this.

My singer 319w has a vertical rotary bobbin underneath and my 328k has a horizontal drop in bobbin.

Yet both do double needles.

I do get the hook has to pass behind both needles, but I don't understand how the vertical vs horizontal thing matters.

Seems to me what matters is how the OEM designed it to work....