Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Never thought this would happen. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/never-thought-would-happen-t225500.html)

miriam 07-11-2013 07:11 AM

I did not like how the needle went down an extra step before it would turn a corner. I could not predict where it stopped.

Lori S 07-11-2013 07:22 AM

I so love my 306W... but I do have a newer Viking ( 20 years old) .. I love the 306 w .. its mounted in a cabinet , with a knee control . which I love. If I could get all the feet for the 306 W and the different types/sizes of needles , I would have no need for anything other than my 306 W. My Mom gave it to me years ago... and every once in awhile.. I think she would rather she never gave it up.

miriam 07-11-2013 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by Lori S (Post 6171704)
I so love my 306W... but I do have a newer Viking ( 20 years old) .. I love the 306 w .. its mounted in a cabinet , with a knee control . which I love. If I could get all the feet for the 306 W and the different types/sizes of needles , I would have no need for anything other than my 306 W. My Mom gave it to me years ago... and every once in awhile.. I think she would rather she never gave it up.

It takes any short shank feet. You can get them from Sew-classic. She has needles but limited size. Check with Mizkaki.

nanna-up-north 07-11-2013 07:46 AM

The precision those vintage machines have is so awesome...... love them. And the wonderful click, click, click sound they make..... it's music to my ears.

jrhboxers 07-11-2013 08:02 AM

Since I got my 301 2 1/2 years ago, I have only sewn on my 403 when I tried it out. I really hated working with my Brother than I bought after my electronic Singer died for the third time. I felt bad about not using it, but I hated that everything was so much work - the bobbin had to be rest several times, the thread would break, etc.

My son moved into his own apartment recently and asked for a sewing machine. My DH hates how many 'useless' machines around - so he asked how many he wanted. My son said that he really didn't want an old one just a basic machine. So the Brother went home with him!! And it is the perfect machine for him - when he fixes his work pants or hems new pants or whatever.

When I stared sewing 45 years ago, I always wanted the latest, newest thing. I can remember when I bought my first electronic Singer, pushing aside my earlier mechanical Singer. Now I don't want anything that is younger than me!!!!

purplefiend 07-11-2013 12:21 PM

I only have one plastic wonder in my house, its a Husqvarna Viking Sapphire875. I used to have a Janome Jem gold 2, but sold it as I couldn't stand how noisy it was.
I mainly use it for quilting because it has a 10" throat space. Otherwise I use a vintage machine, the quilt I'm making now was all pieced on the Pfaff 60 treadle.
Sharon
Singer treadles:201,15-90,237,66(2),115. electric Singers:221(3),301. Singer 99k hand crank

manicmike 07-11-2013 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 6171716)
It takes any short shank feet. You can get them from Sew-classic. She has needles but limited size. Check with Mizkaki.

My local sewing shop has 12, 14 and 16 (the latter is not available at sew-classic). All are Schmetz needles and quite cheap. Only one I really miss is a twin needle for the fancy stitches these babies are capable of.

miriam 07-11-2013 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by manicmike (Post 6172377)
My local sewing shop has 12, 14 and 16 (the latter is not available at sew-classic). All are Schmetz needles and quite cheap. Only one I really miss is a twin needle for the fancy stitches these babies are capable of.

There are more disks available for them than the 401, etc! Does the needle holder accept 2 needles?

DanofNJ 07-11-2013 06:33 PM

I have one plastic machine, a Janome...all the fancy stuff...really don't like it and definitely like my old machines better.

pippi65 07-12-2013 03:43 PM

I have old & new

Originally Posted by Wintersewer (Post 6171614)
Don't rush to sell your newer machine. i was once enthralled with old machines, too, but eventually went back to modern ones. It's true that some new ones are plastic junk, but a good Janome can be a joy to use.

I have a newer Janome 9000...it's 15 yrs old. I use my featherweight set up in it's table and for classes my Lotus SP...from the 70's. I have many other old machines and love looking at them and feel guilty that they don't get the sewing usage they should. I have a stretched 201 I use for quilting...it has a 17 inch neck space and it's on a table that's 12 foot long. I could have "bought" one of the new machines for quilting but I have a spare of the 201 if I ever need it!
So I'm sticking with what I have and happy to have them all. So glad I didn't jump on the new machine bus with all my other friends!!