Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Shall I try and get this machine? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/shall-i-try-get-machine-t216956.html)

ArchaicArcane 03-24-2013 09:04 AM

It was on the second page of that post you posted :)

http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...ml#post5868213 <- points right to the pic

Also thought I'd mention, one of the stitch selectors pulls out to adjust, one pushes in to adjust. The front one is a push (left) , the rear one is a pull (right) . Sometimes if the front is on certain settings, the back one won't move. Try fiddling a little. If you've oiled in there, there's a good chance it's freeing up.

Stitchnripper 03-24-2013 09:10 AM

Thanks so much. I think I have that red thing moving so that the needle goes zig and zag. The dial that moves the right set if selectors moves. I'm heading out to the skate shop to get some tri flow and will keep you all posted.

I really appreciate the help

ArchaicArcane 03-24-2013 09:19 AM

When the selector is pushed in, the shaft it's attached to will actually protrude from the back of the machine. Is it currently tight against the body, or is it sticking out the back at all?

I'm going to make a weird suggestion. Use the flat of your hand, and give that top stitch selector a bit of a "bump". About as hard as you'd have to hit a bottle of triflow to knock it off the table, not too hard, just a slight attitude adjustment. I did this to the estate sale machine that I had, we're pretty sure that that machine wasn't used for 20 years or more and one slap and it freed up immediately.

Hopefully your skate shop carries the TriFlow. All the shops here carry the FinishLine products. I lucked out and found it at 2 bicycle shops. Possibly the only 2 in Edmonton.

miriam 03-24-2013 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane (Post 5950422)
It was on the second page of that post you posted :)

http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...ml#post5868213 <- points right to the pic

Also thought I'd mention, one of the stitch selectors pulls out to adjust, one pushes in to adjust. The front one is a push (left) , the rear one is a pull (right) . Sometimes if the front is on certain settings, the back one won't move. Try fiddling a little. If you've oiled in there, there's a good chance it's freeing up.

Pics do not come up on my computer.

ArchaicArcane 03-24-2013 10:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 5950600)
Pics do not come up on my computer.

You're on dial up if I recall, right? Possible it just gives up on showing the pics....

This is Joe's pic (I hope he doesn't mind me posting it again)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]404003[/ATTACH]

miriam 03-24-2013 11:00 AM

but that pic does not show to oil that little horizontal pin down on the bottom to the left of the cam stack - those get really stuck most of the time.

Stitchnripper 03-24-2013 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane (Post 5950461)
When the selector is pushed in, the shaft it's attached to will actually protrude from the back of the machine. Is it currently tight against the body, or is it sticking out the back at all?

I'm going to make a weird suggestion. Use the flat of your hand, and give that top stitch selector a bit of a "bump". About as hard as you'd have to hit a bottle of triflow to knock it off the table, not too hard, just a slight attitude adjustment. I did this to the estate sale machine that I had, we're pretty sure that that machine wasn't used for 20 years or more and one slap and it freed up immediately.

Hopefully your skate shop carries the TriFlow. All the shops here carry the FinishLine products. I lucked out and found it at 2 bicycle shops. Possibly the only 2 in Edmonton.

Yes the screw does protrude on the back when I push on the front button. I have tri flow on the innards of that part and used heat. It still doesn't budge when I try and use the stitch selector on the left

Question - it came with a cam on it. Is that or any cam essential to operating this machine in any of the non cam decorative stitches? If I get that far?

miriam 03-24-2013 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper (Post 5950713)
Yes the screw does protrude on the back when I push on the front button. I have tri flow on the innards of that part and used heat. It still doesn't budge when I try and use the stitch selector on the left

Question - it came with a cam on it. Is that or any cam essential to operating this machine in any of the non cam decorative stitches? If I get that far?

A cam is not essential.

Your selector is probably frozen up at the posts - dried up oil inside. I have found that oil and heat are not enough some times. I've had to use solvent on some machines. You do have to push in or pull out to make the stitch selector knobs turn. Check your manual.

Stitchnripper 03-24-2013 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 5950736)
A cam is not essential.

Your selector is probably frozen up at the posts - dried up oil inside. I have found that oil and heat are not enough some times. I've had to use solvent on some machines. You do have to push in or pull out to make the stitch selector knobs turn. Check your manual.

Yes thanks. I have the manual and am following it. This machine seems very clean to me and I wonder how often it was ever even oiled. Will give the tri flow and heat some time and then go with the solvent. Does that go on the inside or on the outside dials?

ArchaicArcane 03-24-2013 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 5950691)
but that pic does not show to oil that little horizontal pin down on the bottom to the left of the cam stack - those get really stuck most of the time.

Oh, see that's not the one I was looking for. I would like to see it if you find it. I often "miss" that pin.

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper (Post 5950713)

All of these oils do take some time to penetrate on an unwilling machine. Patience (of which I have little) will be a must in this. :) It really sounds like it's the vertical pins to me, like Miriam said - as far as the stitch selector not turning is concerned. Can you post a pic from the top? Similar to Joe's photo?

Unlike the 403, no cams are required for full operation of the 401.

The solvent will go down the vertical pins. They're what's frozen.

What is the setting it's currently stuck on on the left side? A - J? I wonder if it has anything to do with the swing of the needle.