Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Shall I try and get this machine? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/shall-i-try-get-machine-t216956.html)

miriam 03-24-2013 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper (Post 5950741)
Yes thanks. I have the manual and am following it. This machine seems very clean to me and I wonder how often it was ever even oiled. Will give the tri flow and heat some time and then go with the solvent. Does that go on the inside or on the outside dials?

The dials do not get any oil or grease or heat. They are not the problem. The little posts with the notches and the little thing that goes in and out are prone to freeze up with dried on oil that you can't see. You will need to clean those places thoroughly.

Stitchnripper 03-24-2013 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane (Post 5950759)
Oh, see that's not the one I was looking for. I would like to see it if you find it. I often "miss" that pin

All of these oils do take some time to penetrate on an unwilling machine. Patience (of which I have little) will be a must in this. :) It really sounds like it's the vertical pins to me, like Miriam said - as far as the stitch selector not turning is concerned. Can you post a pic from the top? Similar to Joe's photo?

Unlike the 403, no cams are required for full operation of the 401.

The solvent will go down the vertical pins. They're what's frozen.

What is the setting it's currently stuck on on the left side? A - J? I wonder if it has anything to do with the swing of the needle.

I will try and post a picture. The dial is stuck between the A and B. The plate thingy that is controlled by the stitch selector moves freely now. The other side moves freely too. Well I have to use two hands to hold it in position but it is easy to do.

Stitchnripper 03-24-2013 12:00 PM

[QUOTE=miriam;5950806]The dials do not get any oil or grease or heat. They are not the problem. The little posts with the notches and the little thing that goes in and out are prone to freeze up with dried on oil that you can't see. You will need to clean those places thoroughly.[/QUOTE

Okay. Need to get some solvent.

miriam 03-24-2013 12:01 PM

That little horizontal pin is easy to miss and hard to locate the first time - it throws everything off if it has one little teeny tiny dried up piece of oil - I clean it first thing when I do the top of the machine - q-tip and solvent. Protect the area with cosmetic pads or panty liner pads to absorb solvent - also swab out with a q-tip when you are done - I use forceps to get the q-tip down in there... and forceps to get the pads out. After it has been clean you will have to re-oil it. The knob will not turn if those posts with all the slots are gunked up - some times it it the under side of the thingy that rests in the notches. Pushing in or pulling out pulls that little thingy out of the grooves. If there is gunk you won't be able to work the knobs. You can't see that dried up oil - even a tiny drop will keep it from moving. There is a reason the repair man wants $179 to do this kind of clean up job. Some times it takes hours. Some times it takes days. You have to be very thorough and even then some times you miss something. A few weeks ago I missed something dried up in the gears under the bobbin area somewhere. It doesn't take much dried up oil to stop up one of those Singer 401 machines.

BTW I run my 403 all the time with out the cam on there. Never had a problem - I don't get it I guess. I think it is the Singer 328, 319 etc - some other old machines you have to worry about.

miriam 03-24-2013 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper (Post 5950833)
I will try and post a picture. The dial is stuck between the A and B. The plate thingy that is controlled by the stitch selector moves freely now. The other side moves freely too. Well I have to use two hands to hold it in position but it is easy to do.

I don't know what you are saying.

miriam 03-24-2013 12:04 PM

You probably have solvent around - brake cleaner, zylene, denatured alcohol, gun cleaner - be VERY careful - those can ruin your paint and if you breathe the vapors they can damage your liver. Joe says gun cleaner maybe safe - I don't have any handy.

Stitchnripper 03-24-2013 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 5950844)
I don't know what you are saying.

I had to laugh. I don't know what I am saying either! The stitch selector knob on the left side is stuck upwards between the A and B. There is a piece about an inch square that is on the left of the cam stack and moves when I move the red stitch selector on the front of the machine. I can get the other stitch selector dial to move pretty freely. No solvents around. But will get some.

miriam 03-24-2013 12:20 PM

OKAY!!!!! Look down below that square thingy you just mentioned and between the cam stack - there should be a horizontal pin - clean it with solvent. If you push on the needle bar about where the little square thingy is - it should move that pin in and out side to side.

There is a spring comes off once in a while and you have the readers go places they shouldn't - you won't be able to fix that if it has - not with out another 401 right next to you or good pictures. Shoot a picture so we can help you figure out what is going on. I need a good clear shot of the top of the machine - like the one where we show the oil places. Your problem is NOT the knob. Don't worry about that knob for a little while. There is something stuck, a spring off of it or some dried piece of oil you haven't found.

Stitchnripper 03-24-2013 12:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a picture of the innards of my 401

miriam 03-24-2013 12:27 PM

It looks like your problem is NOT the spring - relief.
Do the knobs pull out or push in at all?