Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Shall I try and get this machine? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/shall-i-try-get-machine-t216956.html)

Stitchnripper 03-24-2013 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane (Post 5950991)
Yeah, I just went and pulled a top for the 411G. The front one is the inner knob. Put it down and you have a better chance of the back one moving. If it's fully at the top, it tends to "jam" that whole mechanism from letting the other side turn. Ditto if the left (back) one is all the way up.

I shot some video of what these look like when they're operating, and am going to try to figure out how to upload to YouTube.

that would be very helpful. I have tried moving the one that moves into different positions and trying the other one, but so far no luck.

miriam 03-24-2013 01:13 PM

OK - I'm betting you are up against 3-in-one oil. You will need brake cleaner or some kind of xylene product. Carefully spray a little brake cleaner in a tin can (anything plastic or paint will vaporize). Then get an artist brush made of hair. Brush the brake cleaner on the grooves and the little plate that goes in and out of the grooves. Protect your painted areas. VERY careful - do it out doors or garage run a vent fan - the brake cleaner should vaporize the gunk. You will only use a few drops of it. Pouring rubbing alcohol in there isn't a real good idea.

ArchaicArcane 03-24-2013 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 5951012)
I have serviced MANY of these selectors. They are a chore to do. Tammi has done her share of them, too. They have their quirks. I don't see many of those machines with out the same issues or more. We will for sure need a way to 'find' this again. This should be the end all on the selectors by the time Tammi posts a UTube video.

Okay... if you wanted quality, I'll need to set up a non "cell-cam". :)

I'd be completely willing to do a step by step video walk through if we can agree on a good cleaning process. The only thing that slows me down is my video camera isn't compatible with a current computer I have so I jump through some hoops to get the video, but the quality is worth it. Someone else will have to narrate it though, because my Canadian accent may be confusing ;)

Post it to the QB blog,.. I'll post it to AA too, so it's always available to link to.

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper (Post 5951017)
Have been working the rubbing alcohol in. So far nothing. Does it need to sit awhile? I'm tempted, but not really, to pour it in there and then dump it out.

nooooooooooo!!! :)

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 5951031)
OK - I'm betting you are up against 3-in-one oil. You will need brake cleaner or some kind of xylene product. Carefully spray a little brake cleaner in a tin can (anything plastic or paint will vaporize). Then get an artist brush made of hair. Brush the brake cleaner on the grooves and the little plate that goes in and out of the grooves. Protect your painted areas. VERY careful - do it out doors or garage run a vent fan - the brake cleaner should vaporize the gunk. You will only use a few drops of it. Pouring rubbing alcohol in there isn't a real good idea.

It sounds like it doesn't it? The rest of the machine is so clean though....

ETA: I'm guessing that on that back pillar that the pin that sits in the slots isn't quite clearing the pillar so it can't move. THen add some goop and you're stuck good.

The link is here, it's a shaky cell phone camera video, but it shows the needlebar moving, how the needlebar moves (the flapper moving), an almost image of the horizontal pin Miriam and I were discussing, and what moves when you move the stitch selectors. You can see I got them mixed up for a minute too.

I'm going to take that video down once we resolve your problems, and will shoot one for keepsies that doesn't make me motion sick. Youtube "fixed" my shakiness and made it worse I think

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnaXN...yer_detailpage

miriam 03-24-2013 01:30 PM

Tammi, there isn't anything wrong with that video!!! It is perfect. I would love to hear your Canadian accent!!!

I would also like to see you push in that that knob for the rear as you turn it

miriam 03-24-2013 02:34 PM

There is more info on Singer slant-o-matics here:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...s-t160607.html

Stitchnripper 03-25-2013 12:41 PM

What a great video! Mine seems to be working like that except for that back lever called the camstack follower.
I have all my materials and have put the first dose of the brake cleaner on the pillar. I will give it a while and then move the pads out of the way and do the other part, where the pillar moves up and down. Then will look better for the pin that sits in the slots.

miriam 03-25-2013 12:45 PM

You do not need to give brake cleaner more than 10 seconds. Then try to move that knob up and down. Once it moves look where it was and see if you see any dried oil on the under side - use a mirror. Clean each slot with the cleaner. Then you will see the brake cleaner has dried - use your T-F and sort of baptize that post a little. Then clean up your packing. Go do the other one.

miriam 03-25-2013 12:45 PM

shake up the T-F a good one...

Stitchnripper 03-25-2013 12:57 PM

So far no luck. Heading outside again with a dental mirror to see if I can see anything underneath

miriam 03-25-2013 01:01 PM

Are you pulling out on the knob when you turn it. Are you pushing in on the other knob when you turn it?