Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Tri Flow; Pros and Cons (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/tri-flow%3B-pros-cons-t231497.html)

SteveH 10-02-2013 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 6326899)
When you buy a bottle of T-F do you open it up and drop in a nut or a screw so you can hear it shake around? That stuff needs to be shook up.

Yepper, I picked that trick up from Cathy. Make sure it is stainless steel, NOT plated brass... really really...

Glenn 10-02-2013 04:00 PM

During the recent visit to Miriam and Phil's home, Miriam gave me a bottle of T-F to try. I cleaned a machine of all the gunk and lubed it with T-F and it was great as a lub. Now I am working on an old Standard and will see how well it will loosen the hard oil deposit and will let you know. If your oiling a clean machine that is used often so far can't tell the diff between sewing machine oil and the T-F. Now remember all my machines are used regularly so no standing oil on them.

mlmack 10-02-2013 04:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 6326899)
When you buy a bottle of T-F do you open it up and drop in a nut or a screw so you can hear it shake around? That stuff needs to be shook up.

Originally Posted by SteveH (Post 6326951)
Yepper, I picked that trick up from Cathy. Make sure it is stainless steel, NOT plated brass... really really...

Is that just for the sound effect? I can hear the liquid sloshing around when I shake the bottle. [ATTACH=CONFIG]439411[/ATTACH]

mlmack 10-02-2013 04:48 PM

I use both Tri-Flow and regular sewing machine oil, and have gotten parts unstuck with one or the other, and as long as you are oiling a good running machine on a consistent basis, either one is fine.

Then again, I generally don't buy machines that require extraordinary measures to reverse years of neglect, so my experiences are likely different than others.

Rose_P 10-02-2013 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by Vridar (Post 6326144)
It would be interesting to know if any old jewelers (are there any around?) might have some.

Check a place that repairs clocks. There is a synthetic whale oil that I've heard of but have not tried for anything.

miriam 10-02-2013 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Rose_P (Post 6327093)
Check a place that repairs clocks. There is a synthetic whale oil that I've heard of but have not tried for anything.

could be T-F with a different label.

miriam 10-02-2013 05:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by mlmack (Post 6327033)
I use both Tri-Flow and regular sewing machine oil, and have gotten parts unstuck with one or the other, and as long as you are oiling a good running machine on a consistent basis, either one is fine.

Then again, I generally don't buy machines that require extraordinary measures to reverse years of neglect, so my experiences are likely different than others.

I have bought a few neglected machines. The T-F shines. but let me throw another oil into the mess. I picked up some oil used for bike chains. It is a 'wet' lube. I think it is half grease or something. Anyway. I had an old stuck up Singer 15 - kinda cool machine - black nose etc. Nothing was working until I used the chain oil. WHEW. That stuff was good.

miriam 10-02-2013 05:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]439421[/ATTACH]
Believe it or not That machine now sews.

miriam 10-02-2013 05:23 PM

I'm thinking that the chain oil was meant to cut rust or something. I had to get it off after - I just wasn't too sure about it. I don't think I shot an after pic of that machine. I'm thinking it may need some more TLC. The shellac was powdered, too.

miriam 10-02-2013 05:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ha I made a pic to send my sister - she was there wanting to mess with a tension. We did it - it works. Keep in mind the black chrome does not do photos very well.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]439424[/ATTACH]