Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

chris_quilts 02-22-2011 01:11 PM

I fell off the wagon today. A Necchi, in a cabinet, followed me home. I paid $25 for her. I rearranged sewing room/office to put it in there. It's my 2nd Necchi. Love them and this one has a decent size harp space. This makes my 12th machine - 10 are vinatge ladies. Need to figure out a better arrangement in my sewing room so I can actually open up machines and work/sew in there.

Would have bought a 2nd machine but it didn't have a power cord and the lady couldn't tell me anything about it. It also had no discernible name that I could see but it was one of the vintage metal machines cuz it was heavy!

Miz Johnny 02-22-2011 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51

Originally Posted by kwendt
Ahh.... and speaking of odd machines...

I ran across a Singer 328k (made in great britian). Tan in cabinet, uses cams. No accessories, books, or anything included in it. The thrift store wanted $40 for it. Should I consider getting this? It has a hidden belt drive, it looks like. The cabinet is so 50's with only a little side pull out holding almost nothing. ??? Good machine? Or no?

I have one in the Studio but I havent had time to play with it yet. So no opinion here but I have a buddy that loves his 328.

Billy

I have one in the basement that I want to put in a treadle. The most I ever hear about them is they have weak motors. I have a friend with one, and she loves it. It takes the flat cams, so lots of stitches.

FarmStitcher 02-22-2011 01:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well, just got my first treadle machine! I know, I wanted a 15-88 but I couldn't pass up this 66 Red Eye. She's a 90 year old in very good condition. Better than I hoped to find. Needs a few little parts, belt of course, bobbin winder tire, etc. and a regular presser foot! That one was gone. I hope Billy can fill my list. I will pm him and ask. Can't wait to sew on this sweet thing. :thumbup:

90 year old 66 Red Eye
[ATTACH=CONFIG]121551[/ATTACH]

luv2learn 02-22-2011 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by FarmStitcher
Well, just got my first treadle machine! I know, I wanted a 15-88 but I couldn't pass up this 66 Red Eye. She's a 90 year old in very good condition. Better than I hoped to find. Needs a few little parts, belt of course, bobbin winder tire, etc. and a regular presser foot! That one was gone. I hope Billy can fill my list. I will pm him and ask. Can't wait to sew on this sweet thing. :thumbup:

She looks like she's in great condition. Much cleaner than mine was when I got her. Congratulations.

Miz Johnny 02-22-2011 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Miz Johnny I know you said you had come across a few New Home T No 3 machines. Did you ever try and sew with any of them? I printed out a New Home manual, I think you sent me the link, but it is not the T No 3, similar but not the same. Anyway, I can not get the machine to pick up the shuttle thread. I have tried a different needle, got some Boye #4, which is what I think it should use. Also, tried a Schmetz, still can't get it to pick up the shuttle thread. I tried turning the needle and threading from different angles, but no luck. Does any one have a T No 3 machine? I really need to see the threading diagram, but I think even if I'd threaded it wrong it should pick up the shuttle thread?

The T No 3 has a long wire that loops and runs all the way down the face into a little tiny tension spring. It also has a funny looped thread guide right next to the tension spring. I am not sure how to thread this machine, I have never seen one like it. Anyone know? I will take a picture later of the face and post the picture. Billy do you have one?

Nancy

What size needles are you using? Many New Home machines take 20 X 1 needles instead of the standard 15 X 1.

tomilu 02-22-2011 02:08 PM

The decals look very good for a senior lady, lol. If Billy can't help you with everything, I may be able to help.

melinda1962 02-22-2011 02:08 PM

What a pretty find!! Can't wait till you get her going.

scrapykate 02-22-2011 02:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Can you help? this machine needs a #6 round leather belt. It's a Willcox and Gibbs machine. what's the best way to clean her up as well? Need instruction book...

sewbizgirl 02-22-2011 02:37 PM

Wow... you got a beauty! The 66 sews like a dream... Enjoy!

Weedwoman 02-22-2011 02:39 PM

FarmStitcher your Redeye is gorgeous. I have two like that and I've been treadling away today on them. I have them both in one room so I just turn my chair around and play on one for a while than switch to the other. I need a tire for one of the bobbin winders and am hoping Billy has some for sale. Enjoy your machine.