Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

chris_quilts 05-24-2012 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Crossstitcher (Post 5241107)
The fw number is on the bottom of machine near the bobbin area.

Thanks. I will look there later tonite or tomorrow.

BoJangles 05-24-2012 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by J Miller (Post 5240335)
Does your bobbin look like it was turned from a solid piece of metal on a lathe? The early ones were. I have quite a few FW / 9W-7 bobbins that are one piece, but they all have holes in them.

Joe

My one and only bobbin for my 9W is not holy, I will have to get it out and take a photo of it. I still haven't had time to try the FW bobbins in the Singer 9W. I am busy with another project. Do the FW bobbins also work in the Wheeler and Wilson's W9? I need to try that one too!

Nancy

BoJangles 05-24-2012 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif (Post 5240379)
:D I was blushing as I typed the message. I blush very easily.

But I got the message! Okay, talk will be of only sewing machines.

No! This has been fun, now that you opened this can of worms - uh - bras, we want to know how it goes and which machine makes the trusty item! Besides, I know you and you are a skinny thing - are you sure you weren't describing some else - a 38? That got my attention!

Nancy

miriam 05-24-2012 06:09 PM

Bummer, tomorrow my sister is leaving. I should clean house.........

BoJangles 05-24-2012 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 5241136)
Bummer, tomorrow my sister is leaving. I should clean house.........

Miriam, it has to be so much fun to have a sister; and, have that sister interested in what you are interested in! I am jealous! I don't have a sister, but I have two Aunts. One Aunt is 2 years younger than I am, and one is 5 years older - kinda like sisters I guess.

Nancy

vintagemotif 05-24-2012 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles (Post 5241134)
No! This has been fun, now that you opened this can of worms - uh - bras, we want to know how it goes and which machine makes the trusty item! Besides, I know you and you are a skinny thing - are you sure you weren't describing some else - a 38? That got my attention!

Nancy

Okay, I'll tell ALL....:D. Found more information on bra making. Since seam allowances is 1/4", I was going to use my Eldredge Two Spools since it has that perfect 1/4" foot. For the zigzagging portions of the bra making, I'll be using my Necchi Supernova Ultra in treadle. I now have all materials and pattern ready, just researching a bit more before I start sewing.

vintagemotif 05-24-2012 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by thimblebug6000 (Post 5240824)
I posted a picture of my featherweight quite close to the start of this thread of over 871 pages ..... Yesterday & today I have spent many hours trying to find a basic clean up process for it on these pages. I have watched some wonderful youtube videos but they're for vintage machines.... is there some place on this section that is dedicated to strictly the featherweight? So far every place that I have managed to open on my machine is nice & clean, except tonight I vacuumed out the accumulated dust under the feed dog area. My machine looks like it is stitching perfectly but once the area is finished & I look at it, it seems to be a little gathered. I am not wanting to take all the front tension disks off if at all possible. Can someone please post to show me where to be looking here for specifically the Featherweight, rather than just other vintage machines?

I just look at a FW as any other vintage machine. I just start with googling information on the machine to see if anyone has posted helpful info. If little can be found, then I just start cleaning it like a Singer 15 or 201.
Take pictures of the before removing screws or items, just in case you can't remember how to get it back together again.
Miriam has the best posting on QB for FW cleaning. Enjoy your FW!!! They're such cute machines.

nurseknitsLaura 05-24-2012 07:40 PM

[QUOTE=Charlee;5240388]My New Florence (remember the cabinet with the gold rose decals?) also has the rounded "butt"

OK, first bras and now butts? (ducking and running)

vintagemotif 05-24-2012 07:44 PM

[QUOTE=nurseknitsLaura;5241279]

Originally Posted by Charlee (Post 5240388)
My New Florence (remember the cabinet with the gold rose decals?) also has the rounded "butt"

OK, first bras and now butts? (ducking and running)

Hey Laura, I found that Threads article today that you mentioned. Thanks!!!

HanNatNana 05-24-2012 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles (Post 5240255)
I went to bed last night thinking OMG Monica is so funny! What a subject to bring to our vintage machine shop! Joe, thank you, I was thinking maybe all you guys would think the female side of the board were off their rockers - sometimes I wonder! Monica, at least you got a laugh out of everyone - a little surprised laugh out of me!~ I never even thought about making bras myself, and I would never bring it to the board - but, that is just me! What a crazy bunch we are!

Nancy

Sorry, I never meant to offend anyone by replying to a question on bra making....thought it was the same as making quilts or other clothes so I'll just close the door behind me and go back to my bra making project, so I'm not seen as being crazy or eccentric...or what!!

;-(((