Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

AbbyQuilts 08-02-2010 09:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Anyone good at naming feet?

I have some feet that were in the drawer of my machine.
I know several of them but most I do not know how to use

1. I dont know what it is
2. Is a ruffler but I dont know how to attach it
3. Is a regular foot
4. Has a turn under for like edges I think?
5-9 I think these are binders although I have no clue how to attach them to the machine.
10. Is not a foot but I dont know what it is or what it goes with. It has the domestic star so I know it is for something
11. Have no clue what 11 is

I can also take more pictures.
Plus I have a singer ruffler I dont know if I can use that on my machine

jenna p in ga 08-02-2010 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by AbbyQuilts
1. I dont know what it is TUCKER...it makes tucks, look like pleats to me
2. Is a ruffler but I dont know how to attach it
3. Is a regular foot
4. Has a turn under for like edges I think?
5-9 I think these are binders although I have no clue how to attach them to the machine. HEMMERS
10. Is not a foot but I dont know what it is or what it goes with. It has the domestic star so I know it is for something
11. Have no clue what 11 is

This is all new to me too, but I happen to have my book right in front of me. 1 and 5-9 are the only onee I can help with.

AbbyQuilts 08-02-2010 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Ok, just looking up some information on a pfaff treadle I saw a note that "Domestic" was bought out by Pfaff way back when.

Billy do you know anything about this Domestic?

Nancy

Okay I relooked up all the info about my machine. I have memory problems so I end up lookign things up mulitiple times
:-D
My machine was made in the 1880's it is the #4 family cabinet I think. The manual in the Smithsonian that is from 1880 works for my machine

From what I haver read is that White bought out the Domestic company sometime in the early 1900's.
I have never seen that Phaff bought them out

I did find this on needlebar http://needlebar.org/main~nb/dates/pfaff/index.html
Its the serial numbers for Phaff if you are looking for info for a Phaff

BoJangles 08-02-2010 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by AbbyQuilts

Ok, just looking up some information on a pfaff treadle I saw a note that "Domestic" was bought out by Pfaff way back when.

Nancy

Okay I relooked up all the info about my machine. I have memory problems so I end up lookign things up mulitiple times
:-D
My machine was made in the 1880's it is the #4 family cabinet I think. The manual in the Smithsonian that is from 1880 works for my machine

From what I haver read is that White bought out the Domestic company sometime in the early 1900's.
I have never seen that Phaff bought them out

I did find this on needlebar http://needlebar.org/main~nb/dates/pfaff/index.html

Thank you very much for the Pfaff information. As far as Pfaff buying out Domestic -- I was looking up some information on Pfaff's and a note that said Pfaff bought out Domestic just caught my eye -- I will have to go back and find it again! I try to remember, just because we see it in print doesnt' make it true! Billy?

Nancy

BoJangles 08-02-2010 01:17 PM

Hello all,

We just got back from running around to Antique Eporiums and I found a hand crank Singer. The machine was very cute, in good shape, but had no needle assemby attached to the bar thing.

Anyway, they wanted $275 for the machine. The only numbers on the machine were on the base of the head and they both started with a number that was separate from the rest of the numbers.

The numbers were # 7 641334 and below that number with the same spacing # 1 903834. I could not find another number on the machine. This machine has to be pre 1900's?

I couldn't see a place for a bobbin, was this a chain stitch only machine?

What do you guys think of this deal? Can I get a replacement Needle assembly thing -- she said they may have taken it off so it wouldn't get stollen.

Nancy

BoJangles 08-02-2010 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by AbbyQuilts[/quote

Wow, AbbyQuilts! I went to the site you listed and printed out the serial numbers and manufacture dates for Pfaff's from 1862 through 1978!

Wow! Thank you! I am no on a quest to find a vintage Pfaff!

Nancy

Lostn51 08-02-2010 02:36 PM

Hello all,

We just got back from running around to Antique Eporiums and I found a hand crank Singer. The machine was very cute, in good shape, but had no needle assemby attached to the bar thing.

Anyway, they wanted $275 for the machine. The only numbers on the machine were on the base of the head and they both started with a number that was separate from the rest of the numbers.

The numbers were # 7 641334 and below that number with the same spacing # 1 903834. I could not find another number on the machine. This machine has to be pre 1900's?

I couldn't see a place for a bobbin, was this a chain stitch only machine?

What do you guys think of this deal? Can I get a replacement Needle assembly thing -- she said they may have taken it off so it wouldn't get stollen.

Nancy

I would have to see the machine to say what it is but the price sounds way to expensive.

Billy

jenna p in ga 08-02-2010 02:46 PM

Here are pics to the treadle I bought!!!
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-57479-1.htm

Ready for help!!! For starters, where is the best place to order parts, and do I need a special needle?

Thanks,
Jenna

husband-of-a-quilter 08-02-2010 03:24 PM

3 Attachment(s)
My wife quilts and in the process I seemed to have found a fascination for sewing machines. I just love the mechanics of them, they are so logical. So I joined this board to learn as much as I can about them (who knows I might even learn to quilt) I found two machines at our local Bernina store this past weekend and they were very cheap. This one is an Ideal Electric, I have no ideal how old it is and it seems to be in very good condition. I have searched the internet but to no luck so I will keep trying. Since I am new here is there a way to just search this thread if I am looking for a particular machine? Thank you for letting me share this.

Ideal Electric
[ATTACH=CONFIG]90529[/ATTACH]

Another View
[ATTACH=CONFIG]90530[/ATTACH]

With Cover
[ATTACH=CONFIG]90532[/ATTACH]

BoJangles 08-02-2010 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by husband-of-a-quilter
My wife quilts and in the process I seemed to have found a fascination for sewing machines. I just love the mechanics of them, they are so logical. So I joined this board to learn as much as I can about them (who knows I might even learn to quilt) I found two machines at our local Bernina store this past weekend and they were very cheap. This one is an Ideal Electric, I have no ideal how old it is and it seems to be in very good condition. I have searched the internet but to no luck so I will keep trying. Since I am new here is there a way to just search this thread if I am looking for a particular machine? Thank you for letting me share this.

I love that machine! I have never heard of an Ideal Electric!

Nancy