Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

Windblown 06-09-2013 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by treadlep (Post 6112443)
Windblown, your 1941 crinkle machine is most likely a 99-23 or 99-24. Same machine, but one is knee bar driven and one not. I have one; it's my avatar. It is cute. There's no K to this model if it's made in New Jersey. I found a manual online by doing a search using the model numbers (one manual for both models). There are usually a few on ebay for an astronomical price, and parts can be easily found. I use mine mainly for decoration, but it works great. Sewing machine oil every once in awhile applied in a light finish and rubbed off will keep it looking good. You should be able to get your light working. Because of its WWII origins, there is an historical significance to this machine and the crinkle finish that may make it easier for you to accept it's appearance---in my opinion you would be dishonoring this machine by hanging an ikea light on it (use one next to it if you must for functionality). Once you get it cleaned up you may love it more.

Oh I do care for it, I named it Audie Murphy for WWII flavor, my Dad was a Army vet, and my Mom worked at Boeing.
With Joe's help I got the light working,(Yea!)
Thank You for the 99-23 or -24 hint, I will look for the manual. The problem with the manuals I have found so far is in the thread tension assembly just not the same pieces. Clean up is going well, I'm waiting for some evaporust and new springs. When I plug it in it just hums along puurfectly;)
I learned to sew on a crinkle, so I knew what I was getting into, I fell in love with the shape and toughness of this guy.
I have the same problem with others things like fabric and even foods, and pets.

~Karen

chris_quilts 06-09-2013 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 6112592)
mouse nest and all... :hunf:

Miriam,
Better a mouse nest than a mummified mouse which is what I found underneath one my machines.

chris_quilts 06-09-2013 09:37 AM

I have a Davis Vertical Feed sewing machine which I want to play with and I actually finally threaded correctly yesterday. She stitches beautifully but I would still like a manual. Her tension knob patent date is sometime in 1915 but her slide plate is a much older serial # but I don't care about that. What I need to find is some of spindles for the bobbin thread and an idea of how to wind and then properly thread the bullet shuttle. I presume a manual will take care of the threading issue but where do I find these bobbin spindles or whatever their correct name is. I have quickly looked on EBay but have seen nothing of interest so far. I also presume Singer parts won't work. Any help is appreciated.
Chris

miriam 06-09-2013 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by chris_quilts (Post 6112696)
Miriam,
Better a mouse nest than a mummified mouse which is what I found underneath one my machines.

I haven't probed that far...

chris_quilts 06-09-2013 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 6112722)
I haven't probed that far...

Hoping you don't have one then. At least if it's mummified, they're not so icky (for me) to handle but my cat sure was interested in that machine. :D:D

J Miller 06-09-2013 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Windblown (Post 6112635)
Oh I do care for it, I named it Audie Murphy for WWII flavor, my Dad was a Army vet, and my Mom worked at Boeing.
With Joe's help I got the light working,(Yea!)
Thank You for the 99-23 or -24 hint, I will look for the manual. The problem with the manuals I have found so far is in the thread tension assembly just not the same pieces. Clean up is going well, I'm waiting for some evaporust and new springs. When I plug it in it just hums along puurfectly;)
I learned to sew on a crinkle, so I knew what I was getting into, I fell in love with the shape and toughness of this guy.
I have the same problem with others things like fabric and even foods, and pets.

~Karen

Karen,

Glad I could be of help. A real good source of info for the top tensions is TFSR { http://www.tfsr.org/publications/tec...machine_manual } Their site will guide you step by step through fixing the machines.

Joe

Windblown 06-09-2013 04:52 PM

Treadlep, Thank you so much Audie is indeed a 99-23 or 24!!! found the manual online and checked the tension page, it was exactly right... when the new springs get here I will put it together correctly. What a relief. Since he came without any kind of box or wood around him I don't know 23 or 24 but than wont matter to me.

~Karen

jlhmnj 06-09-2013 05:33 PM

Hi Chris,

Singer bobbins will work in your Davis, just need a Singer to wind. Davis bobbins occasionally turn up on ebay or perhaps someone on QB has a few extra. This Yahoo group has a Davis NVF manual in it's files:

http://dir.groups.yahoo.com/group/da...sec=dir&slk=25

Jon

Originally Posted by chris_quilts (Post 6112709)
I have a Davis Vertical Feed sewing machine which I want to play with and I actually finally threaded correctly yesterday. She stitches beautifully but I would still like a manual. Her tension knob patent date is sometime in 1915 but her slide plate is a much older serial # but I don't care about that. What I need to find is some of spindles for the bobbin thread and an idea of how to wind and then properly thread the bullet shuttle. I presume a manual will take care of the threading issue but where do I find these bobbin spindles or whatever their correct name is. I have quickly looked on EBay but have seen nothing of interest so far. I also presume Singer parts won't work. Any help is appreciated.
Chris

chris_quilts 06-09-2013 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by jlhmnj (Post 6113472)
Hi Chris,

Singer bobbins will work in your Davis, just need a Singer to wind. Davis bobbins occasionally turn up on ebay or perhaps someone on QB has a few extra. This Yahoo group has a Davis NVF manual in it's files:

http://dir.groups.yahoo.com/group/da...sec=dir&slk=25

Jon

Jon, thanks. I was hoping you would turn up with an answer. I have the Singers but which model bobbin works best? I will look at the Yahoo group, too, and thanks again for the information.

jlhmnj 06-09-2013 05:46 PM

Any of the Singer Vibrating shuttle long bobbins will work--VS2, VS3, 27,28,127,128.

Originally Posted by chris_quilts (Post 6113479)
Jon, thanks. I was hoping you would turn up with an answer. I have the Singers but which model bobbin works best? I will look at the Yahoo group, too, and thanks again for the information.