Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

vintagemotif 01-27-2011 08:04 PM

[quote=Miz Johnny]

Originally Posted by tomilu

My mother kept a 15-91 in the bathroom of the 2-bedroom bungalow she lived in. The bathroom was huge; in the wintertime she would turn on a portable heater in there and spend the day.

Told my husband this and he asked, "Is this for old ladies who can't make it in time?" lol

faithsmamaw 01-27-2011 08:08 PM

thanks

faithsmamaw 01-27-2011 08:15 PM

thanks all that was easy found out it is a model 96 made in June 1924

cherrybsixty 01-27-2011 08:19 PM

[quote=vintagemotif]

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny

My mother kept a 15-91 in the bathroom of the 2-bedroom bungalow she lived in. The bathroom was huge; in the wintertime she would turn on a portable heater in there and spend the day.

Told my husband this and he asked, "Is this for old ladies who can't make it in time?" lol

Some of you girls are sew funny, just sitting here in the john, reading and LOL.

cherrybsixty 01-27-2011 08:23 PM

MzJohnny, you are sew my kind of girl, your DH knows how to keep you both happy. When your happy he is happy. You have your toys and he has his, right?

cherrybsixty 01-27-2011 08:26 PM

Listening to you ladies makes me realize that 'oil is to the machine, like water is to the body.' So, it is past time for me to give my girl a little drink of oil, thank you.

faithsmamaw 01-27-2011 08:33 PM

thanks for your information i also found out about my husband old singer it was made in 1900 thank you very very much he has had his for 23yrs. He will be delighted when i tell him

vintagemotif 01-27-2011 10:13 PM

Also, your W&W takes a 127x1 needle or Boye 18. The Davis takes a Boye 10 unless it is really old -- some of the really really old Davis VF took a Boye 20. These needles are no longer in production, so if you can find them you need to start stocking up if you plan on using your machines.

Nancy

There are 2 Boye cases of 18s, but they are rusted, in the Davis. hmmmm Thanks for the heads up on needles. I have a number of Boye cases w/needles, but don't remember what they are other than the 10s.[/quote]

You may be able to rescue those needles. Try cleaning them with oxy-clean. I haven't used it yet, but I keep reading about people cleaning the rust off the metal parts of their machines with oxy-clean. It should work with your needles.

irishrose 01-27-2011 11:07 PM

I used Oxyclean on my 301 this week. It took off years of yellow grime. I think she must have lived with a smoker. It cleaned the discolored oil off the presser foot and other chrome parts, too. Now I need to pick up some wax. Mine is snowed in the shed in the yard. Oxyclean may be too strong for older machines, but for the 301 it was fine.

And she does need Singer needles. I started with a Singer needle and she sewed well. When I put in a Schmetz, she would straight stitch, but for FMQ and stippling, she was skipping stitches. Replaced it with a Singer and the problem ended. Darn, I don't like Singer needles, but apparently AnnieRose does. She was the only vintage machine in the class, but she did as well as any Janome there.

tomilu 01-28-2011 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif

Also, your W&W takes a 127x1 needle or Boye 18. The Davis takes a Boye 10 unless it is really old -- some of the really really old Davis VF took a Boye 20. Nancy

There are 2 Boye cases of 18s, but they are rusted, in the Davis. hmmmm Thanks for the heads up on needles. I have a number of Boye cases w/needles, but don't remember what they are other than the 10s.

You may be able to rescue those needles. Try cleaning them with oxy-clean. .[/quote]

I have 10s, 18s (not the rusted ones), and 20 1/2s-which it says on the top for W&Gs, but no 20s. Will get some oxyclean. My DH says beet juice is supposed to clean rust off, lol.