Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   What Do I Need To Know About Singer 500A? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/what-do-i-need-know-about-singer-500a-t266299.html)

NiaJane 06-16-2015 10:35 AM

2 Attachment(s)
And here she is...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]522534[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]522535[/ATTACH]

ArchaicArcane 06-16-2015 10:49 AM

Oh you did well! You have 2 throat plates in there that belong to a newer machine but that's extra on top of the plates you should and do have. :) What are the blue and silver guage looking things in the lower right?

path49 06-16-2015 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane (Post 7228690)
Oh you did well! You have 2 throat plates in there that belong to a newer machine but that's extra on top of the plates you should and do have. :) What are the blue and silver guage looking things in the lower right?

I got some of those in a notions lot I got on ebay. They're pleaters...actually have nothing to do with the machine. You set the size of the pleats with the prongs....slide one prong under & one prong over the fabric. Then turn the gizmo over & pin (or sew) your pleat....repeating for each pleat.

NiaJane 06-16-2015 12:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane (Post 7228690)

They are pleat spacers-I can't say I have ever seen any of those before.
The cabinet has 8 drawers full of curiosities [ATTACH=CONFIG]522547[/ATTACH]
I felt the asking price was fair - $75 ........ I feel as though I have won the lottery.:o

tate_elliott 06-16-2015 12:33 PM

Congratulations on your new-to-you machine! I wish you many years of happy sewing with it.

Tate

ArchaicArcane 06-16-2015 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by path49 (Post 7228746)
I got some of those in a notions lot I got on ebay. They're pleaters...actually have nothing to do with the machine. You set the size of the pleats with the prongs....slide one prong under & one prong over the fabric. Then turn the gizmo over & pin (or sew) your pleat....repeating for each pleat.

Thanks path49 and NiaJane! That's why I had no idea what they were. I knew they didn't belong to the machine but they looked interesting and are a lovely shade of blue. ;)

KLO 06-17-2015 03:32 AM

Looks like a beautiful machine got a wonderful and worthy home. Nice that "grandma's" machine found someone who will appreciate it and treat it nicely. Enjoy!

Sewnoma 06-17-2015 05:50 AM

Oh AWESOME. Yeah, I think you got a really good deal!

You even got the original plastic spool pin for the exterior top - that seems to be missing a lot. I had to find one on eBay for my machine. :)

Have you sewn with her yet? I love sewing with mine. I also pat her on the head every time I walk by, LOL.

Rodney 06-17-2015 06:10 AM

$75 was better than fair. They generally run for more in my area. The Rocketeer machines are very popular due to the style. The accessory box, manual, and large desk with lots of storage don't hurt in my opinion either. :)
You have the basic cams with the machine. There's another box just with cams that should round out your set.
The door and lid breaking off seems to be a common thing and finding a replacement door can really drive up the cost of a machine if you need one. Far better to choose a complete machine like you did.
Congrats on your new machine!
Rodney

Mrs. SewNSew 06-17-2015 06:38 AM

That's a beautiful set up! You got a nice deal with a cabinet and machine both in great condition and look at all the goodies! Whooo hoo!