Proud and Happy

Old 01-01-2016, 12:19 PM

Default Proud and Happy

I finally took my 15-91 out of hybernation after deserting her for a year. She wasn't picking up bobbin thread after I had her rewired, so I thought the repairman had thought I meant "get her running" means "get her running" but not necessarily "make sure she sews."

So I've been thinking she would need professional care again. I'd tried everything.

But yesterday I pulled her out again to try her once more before taking her to a different repairman. I fiddled with the threading. No luck. Fiddled with the bobbin. No luck. Decided to put fabric under the needle and just go for it. Lo and behold, with fabric it worked! Why is that? I don't have a clue. But I"m proud and happy!
Old 01-01-2016, 12:31 PM
Power Poster

You are much better at having patience than I am.
Old 01-02-2016, 12:13 PM

With a bit of luck you should be able to sort out any minor issues your self by go through a list of check points before handing it in some where; Needle in the right way (so easy to get wrong when it's been a while, or you go from one machine to another); same for threading the needle, either from left to right, or right to left (theres' a recent thread on this particular issue with model 15). Then double check threading in general and cleaning feed dogs, bobbin area, behind the face plate and under the base. Check that the bobbin is evenly wound, and bobbin thread goes in the tension spring the right way (I don't think it's possible to get it wrong on the 15 though). You should certainly not give it up :- )
Old 01-02-2016, 02:07 PM

Since it's been sitting, oiling is a good idea too. I always have to check my manual which way the needle flat goes because, as Mickey2 said, I use several machines for piecing or sewing depending upon my mood and what I'm doing.
Old 01-02-2016, 03:40 PM

Most of the time, if you look at the place where the needle goes in. The fat part of the top of the needle goes into the slot, or the rounded part for better wording, and the flat part will be opposite. Someone correct me, if I'm wrong.
Old 01-03-2016, 09:15 AM

The flat goes against the needle bar. Usually the thread guide will help too. The long groove in the needle is the side the thread goes through.
Not sure why it only works with fabric. Could be the way the loop is forming on the thread.
Rodney
Old 01-03-2016, 04:18 PM

Sounds like a needle placement issue to me as well.
Old 01-04-2016, 07:38 PM

I have a 15-91 that I was having trouble w/and it turned out I had been putting the needle in wrong. It goes flat side to the left. Mine has been sewing like a dream since I figured out what I was doing wrong...I am one happy sewer now!