Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • Question about rust on black part of singer 99k? >
  • Question about rust on black part of singer 99k?

• Question about rust on black part of singer 99k?

Old 06-17-2012, 08:31 PM

Default Question about rust on black part of singer 99k?

Hi All.

I have been a frequent reader of the vintage posts as one of my favorite machines is my 401A.

Long story short, last weekend I inherited what I believe to be a 99K. She is in really good condition, but has some rusted areas on the black part. Can anyone recommend something that will get rid of the rust without damaging the finish on the black part? The rust is just cosmetic and I would rather leave it than use something that would do damage. Of course, I would much rather get rid of the rust and save the finish.
    I have found lots of great info on the internet, but nothing that tells me what I can use for rust removal for the black part. Any advice would much appreciated.
    I am sure I will have more questions before I am done cleaning and oiling. I also have yet to do a test sew. Everything seems to move well, but I won't know for sure until I actually get to try her out.
    Thank you.
    Old 06-17-2012, 08:43 PM

You need to stop the rust and seal the surface, or the rust will continue to expand and you will lose more finish and eventually the machine in time.

I would try Evaporust (available at Harbor Freight) applied with a Qtip to the areas that are rusted. Then I'd wax the machine.
    Old 06-18-2012, 05:02 AM

Thank you! There is a Harbor Freight right around the corner, so I can get some today.
    I was planning on cleaning the outside with some soapy water and then oil the surface. I'd love to hear your thoughts on that since I have read a lot of different things.
    and thank you again
    Old 06-18-2012, 01:56 PM

I *normally* only clean with sewing machine oil, even though it can seem to take forever, it's the safest method I know of, since you can't always tell the condition of the protective clear coat. There have been times, especially with no decals involved that I've used Dawn and either qtips or a toothbrush.
    Keep the Evaporust off of the decals if at all possible....I'm not sure, but I don't imagine that it would be good for them.