Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • Question on Treadle and Featherweight find >
  • Question on Treadle and Featherweight find

• Question on Treadle and Featherweight find

Old 06-08-2018, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by bkay
    That featherweight looks pretty rough. It could clean up, though. Does it have a case? Those prices I quoted included a case. That's not the original foot pedal, either. I'd certainly make sure it sews. You might take a baby wipe to see if the surface is just dirty or really compromised. If it has no case and the finish is compromised, it's not worth a whole lot of money. I have one that the finish is compromised, and the OSMG wanted $250.00 to take it apart and put it back together so that I could have it repainted.

bkay
    I don't think it has a case.
    Old 06-08-2018, 10:47 AM

That is probably a 15 treadle. Not many puzzle boxes for the 15s. Make sure it has the bobbin case. And like bkay said for the featherweight, too.

I like that treadle cabinet.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
    Old 06-08-2018, 12:06 PM

I really liked the cabinet too, Janey. That is what initially attracted me to the listing.
    Old 06-08-2018, 12:10 PM
    Banned

Bkay some of the 1960s FWs had that clamshell controller.

Cari
    Old 06-08-2018, 12:27 PM

Treadles are giveaways these days because allot are rusted out and don't have bobbin case which are hard to find and when you do expensive...I recently found a "Standard" machine/treadle and lucked out bobbin case was there and I could easily order and replace the belt...then just needed a good cleaning/oil which I do myself...no rust....Seems to be rust on both those machines. I paid 50.00 for the treadle and cabinet was in mint condition. In nice condition you can pick up a FW for around 250.00 on ebay...that one you posted is not in nice condition...If you really want to take the chance make a lower offer I wouldn't pay more then 100 for both at the most 125. And that's if they run and have bobbin cases...otherwise you'll be putting allot of money in repairs...I bought a 1950's Singer301 at a Church Sale for 30.00...not knowing much...first vintage...ended up paying 250.00 to have it put into working condition including replacing the bobbin case, foot petal, cleaned, buying reproduction bobbins, etc...I do love that machine but if knew at the time it would have cost me that much I would have waited and bought one on Ebay all ready to go for less.
    I've since collected 7 retro machines and have learned allot....
    Old 06-08-2018, 12:41 PM

Also you can go into "Singer.com" ask for the serial no's which are on the plates on front of machine to find out what
    yrs they were manufactured...
    Also make sure to move the hand wheel and make sure the needle goes up and down on both and they aren't rusted/broken or froze up...Won't be able to do much with treadle other then hand wheel that since no belt...
    Also the back lift to lift the foot...allot old vintages those snap and you can't lift the foot up and down...Parts can be found but you have to determine how much you want to put into a semi OK machine or just wait and put the money into a vintage in better shape
    Old 06-08-2018, 02:20 PM
    Banned

Singer.com hasn't had the serial number charts for years and they don't have them on the new website. You can find them on the ISMACS site.
    http://ismacs.net/singer_sewing_mach...-database.html

Cari
    Old 06-08-2018, 05:44 PM

I ~think~ that is a 115 Singer head. (I've not seen those decals before, either.) If so, it takes a different bobbin from the 15 series.
    The Featherweight has a good case of clearcoat failure. It'll clean up, but will take a lot to get it towards shiny.
    Old 06-08-2018, 06:09 PM

I decided against them after seeing in person today. There was no bobbin case and after questioning about the foot pedal, they said that the featherweight doesn't work. They bought bothe in hopes of restoring and selling but lost interest. Thank you all for the good advice against a bad purchase.
    Old 06-12-2018, 05:21 PM
    Power Poster

The older 15-30 treadles have the heavier hand wheel and will treadle real easy. IMHO it was a good deal. The decals are in nice shape. Some times the oil on those can be hard to clean up but once the old dried oil is off and new oil put on it will really sew nice. I sold one I had and regretted... sigh.