A question of value

Old 07-26-2023, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by greaterexp
It saddens me that machines made over 100 years ago, which are not only works of art, but were well-engineered and cost virtually nothing to maintain (and which will still be sewing 200 years from now and longer) are seen as virtually worthless by most folks today. I understand that many sewists want all the bells and whistles, but I've become such a fan of these old workhorses which have their limits, but which aren't cheap plastic, computerized things ready for the landfill pretty quickly. My darling husband has bought me so many European hand cranks that I need to downsize, but I can't sell them for what we have in them for the machines and postage. All of mine sew beautiful stitches and are so easy to operate. A few drops of oil, and they run perfectly.
I agree. I have packed up my Brother which is only about 6 years old and donated to Goodwill my early 90's Singer (which was just sitting in a closet). I love my vintage/antique Singers (Mabel and Ernestine) and switch off on each depending on what I need. I can't see myself unpacking the Brother unless I need to do free arm sewing which at this point is probably few and far between. I will keep it "just in case."
Old 07-26-2023, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by greaterexp
It saddens me that machines made over 100 years ago, which are not only works of art, but were well-engineered and cost virtually nothing to maintain (and which will still be sewing 200 years from now and longer) are seen as virtually worthless by most folks today. I understand that many sewists want all the bells and whistles, but I've become such a fan of these old workhorses which have their limits, but which aren't cheap plastic, computerized things ready for the landfill pretty quickly. My darling husband has bought me so many European hand cranks that I need to downsize, but I can't sell them for what we have in them for the machines and postage. All of mine sew beautiful stitches and are so easy to operate. A few drops of oil, and they run perfectly.
While I agree that these great old machines ought to sell for more than they do, I can see a lot of upside. $40 or $50 is all a person needs to invest to get started in this hobby. That means we have a much larger pool of potential new accumulators. While people like me can pine away for that now $60,000 muscle car of their youth, a hundred bucks and a little patience can get you some of the finest sewing machines ever crafted by human hands.

Our biggest problem is where to PUT all the stupid things and how to squeeze in just one more cabinet!

Our ancestors will wonder how in the world grandma and grandpa ever got them up the stairs. Their biggest starry-eyed problem will be how they'll ever fit all those zeros on the estate sale price tags. Their next biggest problem will be people like us, trying to talk them down off the ledge and explaining they still need to work until retirement ... (Like the $550 machine I posted in the opening post)

So,all things considered, I don't mind an affordable little hobby. The thrill of the chase never gets old.
Old 07-26-2023, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by AlZilla

Our ancestors will wonder ...
Well, if they're time travelers. Otherwise I think our descendants will wonder at this sewing machine obsession.
Old 07-27-2023, 09:19 AM

What we need is someone to make a really great, oscar winning movie that features these older machines so everyone will want to buy one! The question would be how many of us would be willing to sell our beloved treadles if the value is recognized? I'd sell mine for $1000 knowing that the price would drop and I could buy it back again after the craze is over....

Apparently, the Alan doll is selling for outrageous amounts on ebay right now thanks to the Barbie movie....