A question of value

Old 07-25-2023, 05:47 AM

Default A question of value

Sewing machine values for the run of the mill machines we usually deal with are pretty much in the eye of the beholder.

That said, I'm wondering if a few of you would guesstimate how much you'd expect the machine in the pics to bring in your area. Just a local ad on craigslist or the like. Maybe tell us what general part of the country/world you're in.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails 40110.jpeg   40115.jpeg   40127.jpeg  
Old 07-25-2023, 06:07 AM

In my area, a beautiful machine like that, you might get $100.00. It's sad that it would be so little. Treadles take up room and there are not many friends that would have the space for one.
Old 07-25-2023, 06:44 AM

I agree with Toverly. I saw one beautiful one with almost no damage at an estate sale. It sold for $200 and the lady running the sale told me it went to a decorator. She had a client that wanted one for display in her home. Other than that one, I mostly see them go for $100 or less.
Old 07-25-2023, 08:58 AM

I bought my first sphinx treadle about 10 years ago and knowing how little money I had at that time I am sure I paid less than $100 for it. Then I found one that was being given away for the cost of one penny. The people did not want to throw it away but wanted someone who wanted a sphinx and case to come and get it. It belonged to their grandmother. I knew someone in the state that had it and they went off to pick it up and ultimately fell in love with it and kept it, which is fine. When they moved, they passed it forward to someone else in the local community who loved it, too.

Now neither of the furniture around the sphinxes were coffin tops. Would I pay more for a coffin top? Likely. But not more than $200 and that is only if it was not in need of tremendous repair. There are always machines like this to be found in need of repair for significantly less than $100 in both central Mississippi and south Texas.
Old 07-25-2023, 10:37 AM

I'm in South Dakota, and I've been trying to downsize my collection. I'm asking one third of what Toverly said and still no takers.

It seems that the "heyday" of vintage machines has come and went, There was a time about 5 years ago that nice stuff commanded a bit more $$$. There are still way too many of them around, so only those in pristine condition are worth top dollar, and that one posted above is far from that condition.

Funny too, had one person offer to buy if I would guarantee the machine worked. Since it takes about $100 worth of labor to fully service an old machine, it's not going to happen at discount prices. These machines really are only worth getting if you are willing to do the labor of love to get them working - or if you are like me and just want to look at them.
Old 07-25-2023, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Macybaby
I'm in South Dakota, and I've been trying to downsize my collection. I'm asking one third of what Toverly said and still no takers.

It seems that the "heyday" of vintage machines has come and went, There was a time about 5 years ago that nice stuff commanded a bit more $$$. There are still way too many of them around, so only those in pristine condition are worth top dollar, and that one posted above is far from that condition.

Funny too, had one person offer to buy if I would guarantee the machine worked. Since it takes about $100 worth of labor to fully service an old machine, it's not going to happen at discount prices. These machines really are only worth getting if you are willing to do the labor of love to get them working - or if you are like me and just want to look at them.
I have to agree. I bought my white FW in non working condition for $50. My husband saw it and said "Even if you never get it working, its worth $50 just cause it's so cute". I had to agree with him on that.
Old 07-25-2023, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Macybaby
It seems that the "heyday" of vintage machines has come and went, There was a time about 5 years ago that nice stuff commanded a bit more $$$. There are still way too many of them around, so only those in pristine condition are worth top dollar, and that one posted above is far from that condition..
I think I agree with this, that the heyday may be gone. I'm in MO, an hour south of St Louis, I have 12 machines listed on CL (I am not posting the link because I don't want someone to think I'm trying to sell them here, but if a person is curious they can look in SE Missouri), all cleaned and ready to go, almost zero interest. I say almost because I did have 14 machines, a lady came from SE Indiana to buy a $30 machine, and another lady driving from OK back to Virginia with her family bought a $75 machine. I consider those anomalous purchases; the locals aren't buying.

How does this address the question as to the value of the coffin top Singer 27? Ask at least what you have into it and see what happens (I value my time at $0 so I don't consider that in pricing machines for sale).
Old 07-25-2023, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by JoeJr
I think I agree with this, that the heyday may be gone. I'm in MO, an hour south of St Louis, I have 12 machines listed on CL (I am not posting the link because I don't want someone to think I'm trying to sell them here, but if a person is curious they can look in SE Missouri), all cleaned and ready to go, almost zero interest. I say almost because I did have 14 machines, a lady came from SE Indiana to buy a $30 machine, and another lady driving from OK back to Virginia with her family bought a $75 machine. I consider those anomalous purchases; the locals aren't buying.

How does this address the question as to the value of the coffin top Singer 27? Ask at least what you have into it and see what happens (I value my time at $0 so I don't consider that in pricing machines for sale).
Yep, those machines should be selling at those prices, especially in sewing condition. if it weren't for that 2000 mile round trip, the 306 might be living at my house already.

Last edited by AlZilla; 07-25-2023 at 02:02 PM.
Old 07-25-2023, 01:59 PM

So, thanks to the responders so far. I really wanted to check myself because I'm thinking of offering the seller of the machine pictured in the 1st post a hundred bucks. They're asking $550. I'd even let them keep the machine head.

A year or so ago there was a museum quality Davis Underfeed a couple hours south of me, with a gorgeous coffin top and cabinet. The lady had it listed for months at as little as $100. I don't know whatever happened to it.
Old 07-26-2023, 04:03 AM

It saddens me that machines made over 100 years ago, which are not only works of art, but were well-engineered and cost virtually nothing to maintain (and which will still be sewing 200 years from now and longer) are seen as virtually worthless by most folks today. I understand that many sewists want all the bells and whistles, but I've become such a fan of these old workhorses which have their limits, but which aren't cheap plastic, computerized things ready for the landfill pretty quickly. My darling husband has bought me so many European hand cranks that I need to downsize, but I can't sell them for what we have in them for the machines and postage. All of mine sew beautiful stitches and are so easy to operate. A few drops of oil, and they run perfectly.