Quick question on cabinets

Old 09-25-2013, 11:05 AM

use a pvc pipe for a brace
Old 09-25-2013, 12:02 PM

This is the top of the door for a Singer cabinet - see the two small circles? That is where to felt bumpers sat. I have to find something to replace them as I really don't want to be scratching up the top side of the cabinet. I've seen enough cabinets with scratches from the supports.

Old 09-26-2013, 07:15 PM

Cathy,

My husband was a cabinetmaker. He always used small round felt or soft plastic circles at the corners of the cabinet doors. These should be available at the hardware store. I know we bought them at Home Depot!

Jeanette Frantz
Old 09-27-2013, 04:15 PM

A thick piece of carpet, cut in a circle would fit in the holes well. Another thought I have is to visit a tack store (think horses here). If you know someone with a horse maybe they'll let you cut a tiny piece from their saddle blanket. What you're looking for is shown on this page:
http://www.sstack.com/Western_Saddle...lt-Liner-Pad/#

Originally Posted by Macybaby
This is the top of the door for a Singer cabinet - see the two small circles? That is where to felt bumpers sat. I have to find something to replace them as I really don't want to be scratching up the top side of the cabinet. I've seen enough cabinets with scratches from the supports.

Last edited by Christine-; 09-27-2013 at 04:17 PM.
Old 09-27-2013, 04:42 PM

I've been looking around for the felt - and so far not found the exact thing. I've found several but they are not thick enough to fit, those holes are rather deep. Closest I've found is the pads that go on the bottom of chairs - but there again, they are a bit thinner than what this needs - or I need to fill in the holes a bit so I can use something thinner. The same thing is used in several places on the cabinet (like where the machine rests when set up) so I'll come up with something -

BTW - we sold the horses two years ago, but I still have several saddle blankets around. Mine aren't the type that would work, but I know what you are referring to. I still have three saddles I need to get around to selling some day! (Macybaby was the nickname of one of the horses - my name is Cathy)

Rubber/polyurethane is not a good idea, it will actually leave a mark on the finish. Just like you don't want to put a machine with rubber/plastic feet directly on the top of an old cabinet. I have several with feet marks where that is exactly what was done.

Last edited by Macybaby; 09-27-2013 at 04:55 PM.
Old 09-27-2013, 04:53 PM

Here is what I mean about the marks. There are four circles, someone used this cabinet as a stand for their serge, and it left it's footprint. I've seen this type of thing quite often. Not sure what it is caused by, but I'll get really strange marks on my soapstone if I leave something with rubber/synthetic feet sitting on it. At least that goes away with a bit of oiling.

Old 09-28-2013, 11:10 AM

I must have a cheapie because mine has one hole and it has rubber in it that has hardened..I will switch it to felt. We do have a Home Depot so I will get it there. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 09-28-2013, 02:10 PM

With these old cabinets - you never know if someone replaced something 30 years ago.
Old 09-28-2013, 04:50 PM

I had the same problem with the last singer cabinet I got. The spring loaded support arm was missing and some hinges were broken. I got the parts of ebay and voila, fixed.
Old 09-28-2013, 08:21 PM

Ebay is our friend...