Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • Quilting thread for antique, vintage, and semi-modern machines >
  • Quilting thread for antique, vintage, and semi-modern machines

• Quilting thread for antique, vintage, and semi-modern machines

Old 05-01-2012, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B
    You say you are going to use many machines to piece? Just remember each machine may give you just a little different stitch......as far as a good all machine type thread.....a poly covered cotton of 40wt would probably suffice. You also say "QUILTING".........on all different machines too??? Again, there could be a tension problem with some.......again I would use a poly covered cotton thread......JMHO And my final question: Why use all those machines on one quilt??????? I cannot picture that process in my mind's eye......
    That way he can say he has used all his machines to make one quilt and why not if he has the time and wants to do it? I wouldn't have enough room to do that here.
    Old 05-01-2012, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B
    You say you are going to use many machines to piece? Just remember each machine may give you just a little different stitch......as far as a good all machine type thread.....a poly covered cotton of 40wt would probably suffice. You also say "QUILTING".........on all different machines too??? Again, there could be a tension problem with some.......again I would use a poly covered cotton thread......JMHO And my final question: Why use all those machines on one quilt??????? I cannot picture that process in my mind's eye......
    Geri,
    I will piece the quilt with all the machines. Once assembled, I doubt I'll have one big enough to quilt it. Perhaps my Free Long Bobbin Rotary or 201-2 or maybe one of the 66 treadles, but that's about the extent of the machines with harps big enough.
    A problem with many electric machines is the motor protrudes into the harp area and will hang up on the quilt. The machines I mentioned don't have that problem.

I've accumulated and refurbished a bunch of machines but haven't done much with them but sew on scraps as I did the adjustments. My wife has her favorites and there are many of our machines she hasn't even touched yet. She just watches me tinker with them and then goes back to her favorites.
    I want to do something with each one, even if it's just a part of a quilt I can say; yes this machine works.

For the actual quilting I have plenty of thread. I just want to make sure the thread that holds the assembly together will last and not come unraveled as it's used.

Joe
    Old 05-01-2012, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by amyjo
    That way he can say he has used all his machines to make one quilt and why not if he has the time and wants to do it? I wouldn't have enough room to do that here.
    amyjo,

You are so right. That way I can say I did it. Yep. I don't have the room here either. I figure I'll start cutting out the squares as soon as I get some of the machine projects finished. Then I can take the fixed machines that are in the way out to the garage for a while and make room for sewing. At least that's the plan.

Joe
    Old 05-01-2012, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by misskira
    Locally I have only found coats and Clark and gutter man cotton threads. Both work well in my computerized brother and vintage singers.
    I second this. I have used both C&C Machine Quilting thread and Gutterman quilting thread in my modern and vintage machines, and they both work well. The Gutterman is a little heavier thread, and I like it for making bags. I think it might work with the denim, Joe.
    Old 05-01-2012, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller
    For the actual quilting I have plenty of thread. I just want to make sure the thread that holds the assembly together will last and not come unraveled as it's used.

Joe
    Joe, serger thread is way too thin to use with denim. It won't hold up at all.
    Old 05-01-2012, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by jljack
    Joe, serger thread is way too thin to use with denim. It won't hold up at all.
    Ah yes, so I have been told. However do you remember the thread I did a couple months ago about my widget with the clothes pin spring on it? I ran up a bunch of stuff using both single and double strands of the quilting thread. Those items I've assembled with it show no signs of coming apart.
    ~And~, I wasn't going to use it as piecing thread anyway. Just the decorative quilting part.

I really do not know what I'm going to use, other than I know I want one kind of tread for the piecing so it's the same through out the quilt.

Joe
    Old 05-01-2012, 08:54 PM

I wish you good luck with your project!!! That all the machines work fine with whatever thread you use.
    Old 05-02-2012, 04:10 AM

Nagi,

Appreciate the good luck wishes. I will need it.

Joe