Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • Quilts made using vintage machines! >
  • Quilts made using vintage machines!

• Quilts made using vintage machines!

Old 08-29-2013, 10:56 AM

Thanks! It was a fun and easy quilt to make that required no batting. It's a heavy quilt!

I worked in large sections since denim is very heavy. The large sections are noticeable on the back of the quilt. All the squares are pieced together with a 1" strip using a 1/4' seam. The range of the squares are 2"-12". Once sections of squares were pieced together, I then quilted those section to the back fabric. After all sections were quilted, I then added all the sections together with 1" strips.

I didn't come up with this pattern. Credit should be given to this gal: http://lucysquilts.blogspot.com/2009...im-quilts.html

The order I worked was laying out squares, piecing squares into large sections, drawing quilt lines on sections (so the quilting matched up), quilting, attaching large sections together with the 1" strips, binding, and sewing down backside of the thin strips.

Yes, I did hand-stitch the binding and backside strips since I wanted a clean look without any additional machine lines showing or decorative stitching.
    Old 08-29-2013, 02:50 PM

Monica,

Awesome! I love it.
    I knew you'd make good use of those old jeans.

Cathy

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
    This is a quilt that I made this summer for my daughter. Cathy had given me a couple of boxes of jeans. I'm still working through that stash of denim. I saw this pattern on someone's blog, and I started working on the quilt right after reading the directions on piecing and assembling. Piecing was done on Two Spools and quilting with the Davis NVF.
    Old 08-29-2013, 09:29 PM
    Power Poster

Monica and Mrs Finch....Stunning quilts....cool machines...love your style(s)
    Old 08-30-2013, 04:07 AM

Beautiful star
    Old 08-30-2013, 05:49 AM

I didn't come up with this pattern. Credit should be given to this gal: http://lucysquilts.blogspot.com/2009...im-quilts.html
    Monica,

I did check out the site that you posted..... I think this is do-able. At least I think I might try it once I get the UFOs done that I brought up to the cabin to do. I did a quilt once that had 3/4" strips and I really struggled to get those strips perfectly straight. It turned out pretty good but, whew!! Thanks...I love your quilt.
    Old 10-02-2013, 03:46 PM

Default Tenn Toga Project August 2013

Jan came to visit and we went to the Tenn Toga in Winchester Tn for three day. My wife does not sew so we made her a quilt. This was the project this year and was taught by Di, our host of the toga every year. Jan pieced on a Singer 28 with original HC and I used a Frister and Rossmann HC. Jan took the finished top back home to TX and used her long arm to quilt it. My wife loves the quilt and we had fun making it. Jan and I are looking forward to the Toga next August.
    Skip
    Attached Thumbnails pats-quilt-003.jpg   pats-quilt-004.jpg  
    Old 10-02-2013, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn
    Jan came to visit and we went to the Tenn Toga in Winchester Tn for three day. My wife does not sew so we made her a quilt. This was the project this year and was taught by Di, our host of the toga every year. Jan pieced on a Singer 28 with original HC and I used a Frister and Rossmann HC. Jan took the finished top back home to TX and used her long arm to quilt it. My wife loves the quilt and we had fun making it. Jan and I are looking forward to the Toga next August.
    Skip
    Skip; That is lovely and I love the color choices. You two did good work.
    Old 10-02-2013, 05:08 PM

Skip, That's a pretty quilt! Sounds like everyone had fun making this quilt. I like the back side of the quilt too. Nicely done!
    Old 10-02-2013, 10:01 PM

Here's my latest finished quilt, all pieced with my Pfaff 60 treadle. Its a log cabin, entered it in my guild's quilt show last weekend. The quilt judge was amazed at the vast variety of scrap fabrics, there's over 200 fabrics in the quilt. She liked the pieced binding and borders too.
    Sharon
    Attached Thumbnails log-cabin-soldier-003.jpg  
    Old 10-02-2013, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by purplefiend
    Here's my latest finished quilt, all pieced with my Pfaff 60 treadle. Its a log cabin, entered it in my guild's quilt show last weekend. The quilt judge was amazed at the vast variety of scrap fabrics, there's over 200 fabrics in the quilt. She liked the pieced binding and borders too.
    Sharon
    Sharon, That's a pretty quilt! I love your scrappy quilts; they are always so pretty.