Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • Quilts made using vintage machines! >
  • Quilts made using vintage machines!

• Quilts made using vintage machines!

Old 11-04-2012, 09:22 PM

LOVE the necklace. We girls must be very particular about out accessories!
    Old 11-12-2012, 06:00 AM

Not a quilt, but a nifty wool applique wall hanging. It was pieced on my Viking 6570 ca 1979 and then FMQd on my Singer 15-91 ca 1952. Quilting it was a joy! That baby makes FMQ easy peasy.

As I mentioned in the Main Forum, the original pattern was done in batiks, but I modified it for wool and changed the pattern a bit. It will go above the fireplace for the month of November ... once its hanger arrives.
    Attached Thumbnails horn-plenty-wallhanging-finished-small-.jpg  
    Old 11-12-2012, 06:32 AM

What a darling bunny! No quick project, either - I've made dolls and bears and bunnies and they're some work! But, that's one of the cutest sewing machine covers ever.

Dorothy, that wallhanging is gorgeous! I have so far managed to resist getting into the whole wool thing, but darn, that IS a beautiful pattern and you did such a wonderful job with it!
    Old 11-12-2012, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by thepolyparrot
    Dorothy, that wallhanging is gorgeous! I have so far managed to resist getting into the whole wool thing, but darn, that IS a beautiful pattern and you did such a wonderful job with it!
    Thank you for the kind words, PolyParrot. It must be a seasonal thing with me because I never turn to wool until it starts to get chilly. Of course, that's when we start to see wool on the shelves of the quilt stores, so ....
    Old 11-14-2012, 07:18 AM

Default Sam's Safari

[ATTACH=CONFIG]376496[/ATTACH]I just finished this quilt, "Sam's Safari", for a baby born last Tuesday to a family in our church.

I pieced it on both my Singer 401A and Violet, my 1951 Centennial Featherweight. I FMQed it on my Bernina 830 Record.
    Attached Thumbnails 002.jpg  
    Old 11-14-2012, 07:40 AM

Oh, what a darling baby quilt! And I like how you quilted spirals around the pinwheels - gives them extra motion and texture. Very nicely done - bet the baby's mother was tickled pink! (or blue and yellow! )
    Old 11-14-2012, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by happyquiltmom
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]376496[/ATTACH]I just finished this quilt, "Sam's Safari", for a baby born last Tuesday to a family in our church.

I pieced it on both my Singer 401A and Violet, my 1951 Centennial Featherweight. I FMQed it on my Bernina 830 Record.
    What a beautiful cheerful quilt. It is great and I agree that I like the spirals around the pinwheels for the movement effect.
    Chris
    Old 11-14-2012, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by totosmom
    Not a quilt, but a nifty wool applique wall hanging. It was pieced on my Viking 6570 ca 1979 and then FMQd on my Singer 15-91 ca 1952. Quilting it was a joy! That baby makes FMQ easy peasy.

As I mentioned in the Main Forum, the original pattern was done in batiks, but I modified it for wool and changed the pattern a bit. It will go above the fireplace for the month of November ... once its hanger arrives.
    Dorothy, I love the wool cornucopia - that is perfect for fall/thanksgiving time! I too have stayed away from wool, but I bought a whole assortment of wool squares just for appliqueing . . . . I haven't used any of them yet! Maybe, I will start using that stuff too!

Happyquiltmom, what a nice baby quilt! It looks like you stippled everywhere but the pinwheels? I love the pieced pinwheels in the border - that really makes the quilt! What an easy idea too - to use a large piece of fabric with a pretty motif for a baby and just piece the border! I love it! Great job!

Nancy
    Old 11-15-2012, 04:25 AM

Nancy, that's exactly what I did...cut a piece of novelty fabric and added borders. The quilting is not actually stippling, but meandering loops. The pinwheels are quilted with spirals. Nothing fancy.

Dorothy, I love your wool work. I've been bitten by the wool bug this year. The shop where I work offered a Penny Mat a Month in January and I signed up. They are only 8 inches in diameter and stitched by hand. I have them all done except December's.
    Old 11-15-2012, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by happyquiltmom
    I just finished this quilt, "Sam's Safari", for a baby born last Tuesday to a family in our church.

HQM, what a delightful quilt! I'm sure Mom and baby will enjoy it for years to come.

Now tell me a little about FMQ on your Bernina 830 Record. I haven't done that on mine yet.

I'd also love to see pics of your Penny Mats -- I'm new to this wool applique thing.