Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • Recognizing Old Singer Sewing Machines >
  • Recognizing Old Singer Sewing Machines

• Recognizing Old Singer Sewing Machines

Old 06-09-2010, 08:20 AM

Thank you for that info....it a pretty machine and runs great.
    Old 06-09-2010, 08:38 AM
    Banned

Originally Posted by nwm50
    Thank you for that info....it a pretty machine and runs great.
    Why dont you take a photo and let us see the machine. I know that Singer dropped the ball on their records a few times. I have a machine that should be a 66 but in reality its a 27.

Billy
    Old 06-09-2010, 08:50 AM

have taken pics but don't know how to download yet. Son says he will show me later today. Thanks for your help on this.
    Old 06-09-2010, 02:53 PM

I recently bought a Singer 66 in a cabinet at an estate sale. This machine had been electrified. This was from the original owner and had been mained fairly well. I am going to disassemble, clean and replace the rubber components. Do you have any suggestions as to what would be the best use this machine for?
    Old 06-09-2010, 03:09 PM
    Banned

Originally Posted by schwanton
    I recently bought a Singer 66 in a cabinet at an estate sale. This machine had been electrified. This was from the original owner and had been mained fairly well. I am going to disassemble, clean and replace the rubber components. Do you have any suggestions as to what would be the best use this machine for?
    The 66 was one of Singers most popular models, it had more innovations that you could shake a stick at. It was the smoothest machine running at the time when VS (Vibrating Shuttle) machines were the norm.

With the advent of electricity and the usage of it in the home, the 66 was extremely soft spoken when in use. The VS machines like the 27, 28, 127, 128 would beat themselves to death running with an electric motor. Believe me I put all of the electrics back on the 128 I got from Jan and it just about rattled itself to death when I had it sewing wide open!! :shock: :lol:

Darcene and I both agree that the VS machines were meant for treadles and handcranks.

I would use your machine for everything I could. From piecing to even quilting. You can get the darning plate for the machine and then find the low shank hopping foot and FMQ your heart out!!!!

You will fall in love with the machine I will say that, and if you want to convert it to a treadle all you need to do is take the motor of and slap it into a treadle.

Glenn is sending me a parts machine that I am going to build back and use it for my studio so I will not hurt the decals on my Red Eye. Although Anne's machine (rest its poor handwheel :cry: ) has the most complete perfect decals I have ever seen, mine is a close second to hers. ;-)

I say use it and enjoy the machine there is no telling how many of these vintage quilts were put together with a 66!

Billy
    Old 06-09-2010, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
    Originally Posted by schwanton
    The 66 was one of Singers most popular models, it had more innovations that you could shake a stick at. It was the smoothest machine running at the time when VS (Vibrating Shuttle) machines were the norm.

With the advent of electricity and the usage of it in the home, the 66 was extremely soft spoken when in use. The VS machines like the 27, 28, 127, 128 would beat themselves to death running with an electric motor. Believe me I put all of the electrics back on the 128 I got from Jan and it just about rattled itself to death when I had it sewing wide open!! :shock: :lol:

Darcene and I both agree that the VS machines were meant for treadles and handcranks.

I would use your machine for everything I could. From piecing to even quilting. You can get the darning plate for the machine and then find the low shank hopping foot and FMQ your heart out!!!!

You will fall in love with the machine I will say that, and if you want to convert it to a treadle all you need to do is take the motor of and slap it into a treadle.

Glenn is sending me a parts machine that I am going to build back and use it for my studio so I will not hurt the decals on my Red Eye. Although Anne's machine (rest its poor handwheel :cry: ) has the most complete perfect decals I have ever seen, mine is a close second to hers. ;-)

I say use it and enjoy the machine there is no telling how many of these vintage quilts were put together with a 66!

Billy
    Thank you Billy! I plan on using your tutorial to disassemble and clean. It dates back to 1929. If I could find a treadle base, I would change it in a heartbeat. I am excited to get it ready to use. I will keep you posted.
    Old 06-10-2010, 04:57 AM
    JJs
    Banned

I posted this on the vintage thread also, but got the Spartan running last night. The pedal control was shot, so tried another, and there was loose wires in the motor - got that taken care of - this little thing flies! As Billy says, it might be the duct tape on the case (cracked and broken) LOL
    I'm adding it here because it's another to be included in "recognizing Old Singers"
    The Spartan is a stripped down 99 - a 192 actually, made by Singer and had no light installed. Another small ¾ size machine - you can use the 99/185 manual. If you look real hard on a Spartan you can see the 192 on the reverse control.
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-82720.jpe  
    Old 10-22-2010, 05:14 PM

can anyone pleas tell whati got a singer #ah8o570 suzieQ
    Old 10-22-2010, 05:15 PM

can anyone pleas tell whati got a singer #ah8o570 suzieQ
    Old 10-22-2010, 05:58 PM

Thanks for the list! I have a red eye 66 treadle but I can't imagine anyone confusing it for a featherweight. It is HEAVY!!