Red Eye for Parts or fix?

Old 08-08-2013, 11:58 AM
Power Poster

The kids are don't mind the ugly redeye at all. The chrome is pretty much not shiny but they can see the neat decals. The little guys aren't ready for thread yet but that's ok the bobbin area is kinda rusty. 3X5 cards are easy to handle. They get a marker and get to draw dots to connect or they can go between lines or on lines. I give them ideas - the main thing is they have fun and learn a few things. Be sure to get the finger guard for the needle - when you take your eyes off the needle is when you get vaccinated and it is very easy to do when you have one eye on the crank and one on the needle.

Joe I thought you gave up on that thing. I have spent way too much time getting some of the old machines to run but it is very satisfying when they do.
Old 08-08-2013, 12:04 PM
Power Poster

One last thing... Let the kids help clean it up - note you can see we use about anything to blow lint out - empty ketchup bottle works, too. A paint brush or Qtip is good for cleaning out lint. I let Wilbur oil. I point and he baptizes. Then we got a rag and wiped the machine off - the excess oil is good for cleaning the finish on the redeye anyway. Then when he got done he had a machine that is ready to "sew" on paper. You can fix things up to sew later or use a different machine. They LOVE LOVE LOVE helping "repair". It doesn't hurt them to know they have to clean and oil, too. One of these days I'm going to have bobbin winding 101 day.
Old 08-08-2013, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by miriam
One last thing... Let the kids help clean it up.
That's a brilliant idea, Miriam. I'm sure I can even tear Audrey away from youtube, my little pony and littlest pet shop for this sort of thing: She is 50% me after all!
Old 08-08-2013, 03:53 PM
Power Poster

spinner end pic - This will turn one time around for one stitch. I got the part at NAPA - Tractor Supply has them, too or you can get them on line. Not all wheels are the same so you will need to find one that will attach to your wheel. You may want to attach the spinner so the needle is up when the spinner is down. They need to learn early on to leave the needle in the up position when they stop and start. To turn corners the needle needs to be down. That will take a bit of patience and some control. This isn't a computerized machine
I had a 7 year old boy watch me with a hand crank which has a 3 stitch per revolution and he was looking the machine over and noting all the physics in the machine. That might be a good science fair project. We did up a rusty old old bicycle one year for my son's science fair project. It would be just as interesting to use a sewing machine.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]429129[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 4h-009.jpg  
Old 08-08-2013, 03:55 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by manicmike
That's a brilliant idea, Miriam. I'm sure I can even tear Audrey away from youtube, my little pony and littlest pet shop for this sort of thing: She is 50% me after all!
Post some pics of her!!! Before you know it she could be making my little pony clothing and accessories...
Old 08-08-2013, 03:57 PM
Power Poster

http://www.shop.sew-classic.com/Fing...nes-SCF020.htm
cheap insurance
Old 08-08-2013, 03:59 PM
Power Poster

Cost wise a hand crank is close to the same but will not mount on that machine - there is no motor boss. The steering wheel spinner is slower but that is ok for kids just learning. Going slow hasn't stopped them from having a good time.
Old 08-08-2013, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by miriam
Post some pics of her!!! Before you know it she could be making my little pony clothing and accessories...
Hmm.. another good idea. Here she is: Tried to get the one of her learning to sew but couldn't find it. This was her birthday last weekend. Happy and covered in coloured pen or tape or some such mess (typical, really).
[ATTACH=CONFIG]429172[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails audrey_bday.jpg  
Old 08-08-2013, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by Vridar
I can't answer for myself so I cant advice. Bought my first 403 on eBay. No packing when arrived. Complained about bent upper tension shaft. Full refund. Purchased another to salvage tensioner. Second is too good to cannibilize so get another for parts? It's a vicious spiral to oblivion.
I think you can get the tension parts rather inexpensively. Sew-classic might have something. or try evil bay:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw...inger&_sacat=0

401, 403, 404, 503, and 500 all use the same tension assembly. the 404 might have only 2 discs, but I saw one on Elizabeth's mysewingmachineobsession blog and it had 3 discs. You need 3 discs for 2 threads, but if all you need is the shaft it doesn't matter.
Old 08-08-2013, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Sheluma
401, 403, 404, 503, and 500 all use the same tension assembly.
oops, I'm wrong. 400 series and 500 series are different. I think it's just cosmetic, but still better not to interchange them.

Miriam, your grandkids are so cute!