Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • Removing Slide Plate From Singer Model 12 Fiddlebase >
  • Removing Slide Plate From Singer Model 12 Fiddlebase

• Removing Slide Plate From Singer Model 12 Fiddlebase

Old 06-19-2023, 07:04 AM

Default Removing Slide Plate From Singer Model 12 Fiddlebase

I purchased a fiddlebase (Model 12) to restore. I'm having a problem removing the rear slide plate. I've put penetrating oil on it from the top and underside and tried tapping it out but it won't budge. I've used a heat gun to heat up the area to no avail. I currently have all the pain stripped off and I'd like to get it off before I do the priming. Any ideas on how to remove it?
    Attached Thumbnails rear-slide-plate.jpeg  
    Old 06-19-2023, 08:28 AM

I'm wondering if a different penetrating oil might work better. I know it is a pain in the pocket book to have a variety of penetrating oils. Many of the comparisons of penetrating oils have a variety of outcomes. I picked up some Kroil at a yard sale and my brother said that was really good penetrating oil. I've used it some, but don't remember what on. We had a stuck screw on a White that we put Tri-Flo on one night and the next morning it came out, but I don't think it was rusted.

I'm wondering if tapping the top and/or the bottom of the plate some to give the penetrating some place to go into. It seems like after reapplying penetrating oil and letting it set, reapply and then heat and tap. One of the videos I watched comparing various oils applied 3 times and let it set for 24 hours.

I hope you are using a piece of wood against the plate as you are. trying to tap it out.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
    Not affiliated with off-site link(s)
    Old 06-19-2023, 05:31 PM

if I have tried everything lese over a few days I sometimes use a wooden chop stick as a punch and do gentle tapping with it.