Ruler work on my 15-88

Old 10-01-2017, 05:48 AM

OMG Do you also pat your head and rub your tummy while doing this? Amazing!!!!
Old 10-01-2017, 05:51 AM

I agree with everyone the fact that this was done on a treadle machine is even more impressive. I did try FMQ on my treadle once but then you throw rulers into it as well very impressive. I can't even imagine how good you will be after practice.
Old 10-01-2017, 10:15 AM

Thanks for all of the positive responses:-) This kind of quilting is just so cool! I am just having a blast with the Westalee templates.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]581577[/ATTACH]

The back is still kind of junky looking, that is from the handwheel slipping backwards on me. I have finally gotten used to not lifting the presser foot. The ruler foot just floats over the fabric surface and you can just pivot on the needle.
Attached Thumbnails 20171001_131048-800x600.jpg  
Old 10-01-2017, 10:30 AM
Power Poster

Wow the first time? Great job!
Old 10-01-2017, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by tscweaves
Trying to coordinate moving the quilt, holding the ruler, getting the hand wheel to go in the right direction all while treadling sure is challenging. I did have quite a few snapped upper threads when that dratted wheel went i the wrong direction, but it is just so much fun.
Getting the wheel to keep on going in the right direction is a skill I was working on about 6 months or more ago. I finally congratulated myself when I sewed for half an hour without touching the hand wheel.

I found that I had to stop the treadle just after my heels started going upwards. Then the next move is down with the toes and the wheel is going the same way it was going before you stopped the motion. I hope you can get the hang of it, as you are doing enough things with your brain without adding that to it, too.

I love your quilting. I can't wait to get some of them myself. Do you have a link to the site from where I can order them?
Old 10-01-2017, 05:30 PM

Yes, I had the treadling down pretty good when I quilted my 2nd quilt on this machine with a walking foot. I really enjoy this machine, so I am back to it as my primary machine. I had to zigzag something today, so I did it on the 401a and I found the noise startling after being just on the treadle:-)

I have the Westalee ruler foot & template set. I ordered it from Nancy's Notions when I was at the Madison, WI quilt expo. They are the major sponser of the expo. Here is the link: http://www.nancysnotions.com/product...emplate+set.do
Old 10-02-2017, 04:05 AM

Good job for first time. You will improve with practice!!
Old 10-02-2017, 06:27 AM

I think I am going to get this. I've admired these from afar for a long time. First I have to talk to my Bernina dealer to see if they have the adapter. If I use my treadle, I would have to figure out if it will fit. It is labeled "Columbus" and I have never heard of that anywhere. It is a lovely machine and sews well, but I can't find any information anywhere on it that would give me a clue as to who made it.

Thanks for the information.
Old 10-02-2017, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by maviskw
I think I am going to get this. I've admired these from afar for a long time. First I have to talk to my Bernina dealer to see if they have the adapter. If I use my treadle, I would have to figure out if it will fit. It is labeled "Columbus" and I have never heard of that anywhere. It is a lovely machine and sews well, but I can't find any information anywhere on it that would give me a clue as to who made it.

Thanks for the information.
I took Amy Johnson's Craftsy class on ruler work on domestic machines on the free day a couple of weeks ago. She has information on Berina adapters. You can check her website, maybe it will help you.https://amysquiltingadventures.com/
Old 10-02-2017, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by tscweaves
I took Amy Johnson's Craftsy class on ruler work on domestic machines on the free day a couple of weeks ago. She has information on Berina adapters. You can check her website, maybe it will help you.https://amysquiltingadventures.com/
Thanks so much tsc. I will check that out. But not now. Other work is calling me!