Rust?

Old 04-21-2012, 07:43 PM

Default Rust?

What is proper way to remove rust? Our freebie treadle has quite a bit but still sews. On the back the silver cover plate by the wheel has a lot of rust. Can a person find replacements. Also have Montgomery Ward that is seized up and missing front cover over shuttle area. Can we do anything with it? Are the parts interchangeable with Singer? We have the shuttle and 1 bobbin.

Going to look at a 1900 Singer tomorrow evening. Owner afraid to turn it on so don't know if it runs. Has decal of sphinx on the front by flywheel. Also nothing said about cover for it. Is $80 too much, what do you think someone could offer. We're just starting to collect. Maybe this is nothing special & we should pass it up. I just thought the decal was pretty.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:38 PM

Really, if the machine is not safe to plug in, it is hard to test it unless you run the wheel by hand. The Sphinx uses long bobbins. Some people like them. They are pretty with all their decals. If it is rough, probably $50 is enough. There are still a lot of them around. Good luck.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:20 AM

I use Evapo-Rust on my sewing machine parts.

Joe
Old 04-22-2012, 07:27 AM

I wouldn't even slow down passing this seller's house. When he won't even turn the thing on so you can look at the machine, you shouldn't need any further NO's. Just saying.... He knows it doesn't run.
Old 04-22-2012, 08:37 AM

For $100 you can get that Singer Sphinx that sews in a cabinet.

One thing I've learned....be patient. These old machines aren't as rare as some would have you believe that they are, there's always another, better one around the corner.
Old 04-23-2012, 12:59 PM

For 80.00 I will wait and keep looking.
Old 04-23-2012, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Needle
What is proper way to remove rust? Our freebie treadle has quite a bit but still sews. On the back the silver cover plate by the wheel has a lot of rust. Can a person find replacements. Also have Montgomery Ward that is seized up and missing front cover over shuttle area. Can we do anything with it? Are the parts interchangeable with Singer? We have the shuttle and 1 bobbin.

Going to look at a 1900 Singer tomorrow evening. Owner afraid to turn it on so don't know if it runs. Has decal of sphinx on the front by flywheel. Also nothing said about cover for it. Is $80 too much, what do you think someone could offer. We're just starting to collect. Maybe this is nothing special & we should pass it up. I just thought the decal was pretty.
NAVAL Jelly if they still sell it.
Old 04-23-2012, 03:34 PM

I use 0000 steel wool but only on parts that are hidden. I saw on another thread a comment by Joe Miller that he recommends Evaporust, I plan to try that on my rusty areas.

Last edited by Christine-; 04-23-2012 at 03:36 PM.
Old 04-23-2012, 03:44 PM

For surface rust of bright metal, I use Bar Keeper's Friend, which comes in a container like BonAmi. It works stupendously, and also inhibits rust. It does not mar the metal even one bit, as it is made for stainless and other bright metals. It has slight acidic properties, so gets all the gunk off the metal without harm. I just can't tell you how good it works...I make a paste with water in a saucer and use an old toothbrush to scrub the gunk off.
Old 07-07-2012, 12:54 PM

I've soaked some very rusty parts in Evaporust this afternoon. After a couple hours all the rust is gone! And some of it was pretty heavy. I used 0000 steel wool dipped in evaporust to get it all off. Now I'll switch over to Brasso to buff them back to a shine.

By the way, Naval Jelly can not be used on chrome. It says this on the label. Be sure to use evaporust on chrome pieces.