Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • ?s about painting sewing machines >
  • ?s about painting sewing machines

• ?s about painting sewing machines

Old 04-20-2012, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by jljack
    Love the pink!! Great work! And very original decals. Did you use automotive paint in a sprayer, or in a can?
    It was automotive paint in a spray can.
    Old 06-27-2017, 09:51 PM

Cool

Originally Posted by jlm5419
    Due to a mistake in cleaning the machine, the Singer model 99 (on the left) had to be repainted.I only removed the external parts, masking off the openings. I used automobile type paint, including a clear coat. The decals were made on my inkjet printer. [ATTACH=CONFIG]328794[/ATTACH]
    >jlm5419 - How do you print the decals on your inket?!! I've been googling all over trying to figure out way to do it.

Also, do yo know what paint stripper he used to remove the paint. The ones I tried are not working to well on this Japan Black paint on the featherweights.
    Old 06-28-2017, 05:12 AM

I have a 66 that was a refurb and had been repainted with flat black paint. (I bought it for the cabinet.) It was really ugly and I wanted to know how hard it was to do and what it would take, so I chose a machine that I couldn't sell.

I used EZ strip Paint and Varnish stripper that I bought at Home Depot. They had 2 types/brands of stripper. They had this one that was neutralized with water and another that required a chemical neutralizer (don't remember which neutralizer, but it was common and available at HD). This one took repeated applications of the stripper, but finally took most all of it off. The last stripping step is to apply the stripper and remove it with steel wool.

Stripping was not quick or mess-free. If I had it to do over again, I'd buy the other product, because I imagine that it would take fewer applications and go more quickly. This one was safer to use, though. If I remember correctly, the other one had to be used in a well ventilated area, you had to wear gloves, etc. This one did not have all those warnings on it.

It's a nasty job however you do it.

bkay
    Old 06-28-2017, 12:43 PM
    Banned

If I recall correctly, FWs weren't Japanned, AFAIK no aluminum machines were.

Cari
    Old 06-28-2017, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by bkay
    Stripping was not quick or mess-free. If I had it to do over again, I'd buy the other product, because I imagine that it would take fewer applications and go more quickly. This one was safer to use, though. If I remember correctly, the other one had to be used in a well ventilated area, you had to wear gloves, etc. This one did not have all those warnings on it.

It's a nasty job however you do it.

bkay
    I have never stripped a sewing machine or anything metal but did help my mother strip furniture back in the day. I don't think any stripping is quick or mess free. At least it wasn't for antique furniture.