Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • Saw my very first beige FW 221 yesterday >
  • Saw my very first beige FW 221 yesterday

• Saw my very first beige FW 221 yesterday

Old 04-12-2014, 10:06 AM

Mark I agree with you. I have seen some white FW's go for $400+. I don't have $500 to buy a machine right now. bummer cuz I sure do like it!
    Old 04-12-2014, 11:31 AM

I've always called mine white or celery - very pretty. And, my case is green and white
    Old 04-12-2014, 12:01 PM

I have had antique mall managers tell me that it is common to discount by 10% without much argument. I don't know if that is true across the country, but I have not found much resistance at that price point. I am sure it depends on how long they have had the merchandise, how much money they have in it, and other factors out of your control.
    Old 04-12-2014, 12:04 PM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]471331[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]471332[/ATTACH]
    Originally Posted by tenngal
    I've always called mine white or celery - very pretty. And, my case is green and white
    Tenngal, there is a "celery or white" one....I own two of those. This is a TAN 221j. Different color indeed!
    Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg  
    Old 04-12-2014, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by Daylesewblessed
    I have had antique mall managers tell me that it is common to discount by 10% without much argument. I don't know if that is true across the country, but I have not found much resistance at that price point. I am sure it depends on how long they have had the merchandise, how much money they have in it, and other factors out of your control.
    Seems like most of the malls I go to have to contact the booth owner to ask about a discount.
    Old 04-12-2014, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by mlmack
    Seems like most of the malls I go to have to contact the booth owner to ask about a discount.
    Yes which is why I rarely buy anything in those big consignment shops. You are never speaking to the owner of the item and they always say "sorry, I don't have the authority to negotiate the price." Blech! So I just don't bother.
    Old 04-12-2014, 03:22 PM

I saw one at the big flea market in Canton, TX last year. The seller wanted 625 dollars for it. I couldn't afford it. She told me it was high because tan ones are hard to find. I don't know, but I didn't buy it.
    Old 04-12-2014, 09:13 PM

I saw my first tan 221J just last weekend. It didn't run very well, so I passed... seeing this thread, maybe I shouldn't have. The seller had it priced at $475, and talked herself down to $400 while I tried it out. I know it's a rare colour, but I just can't bring myself to pay that kind of price based on cosmetics when the functionality isn't great.

I have seen other tan Featherweights sell on eBay etc. for $500-600, so $535 isn't unreasonable. It's not a bargain, but it's in the ballpark of normal prices.
    Old 04-12-2014, 09:23 PM

I think you were right to pass on it! That is a pretty high price. I have a white FW, which my son purchased for me from Good Will! He checked it out first (since he worked 14 years as a SM mechanic. I have no case or attachments for mine, but that doesn't worry me -- I use it for piecing -- but I did use it to sew the binding on a quilt a couple of months ago! My son paid $50.00, so I think that's a pretty good deal! Anything over $300, I think, is just too much!

Jeanette
    Old 04-13-2014, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by Jennifer23
    I saw my first tan 221J just last weekend. It didn't run very well, so I passed... seeing this thread, maybe I shouldn't have. The seller had it priced at $475, and talked herself down to $400 while I tried it out. I know it's a rare colour, but I just can't bring myself to pay that kind of price based on cosmetics when the functionality isn't great.

I have seen other tan Featherweights sell on eBay etc. for $500-600, so $535 isn't unreasonable. It's not a bargain, but it's in the ballpark of normal prices.
    I agree....it is in the ball park.....not really overpriced if you are a collector, of which I am.