Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • Seems Like a Dumb Question - Closing My Treadle Machine >
  • Seems Like a Dumb Question - Closing My Treadle Machine

• Seems Like a Dumb Question - Closing My Treadle Machine

Old 02-19-2014, 07:59 AM

Joe, that is one lovely "red eye". Wish I could get my hands on one but where I live they are VERY scarce if not impossible to find. It is my "dream machine". See several on eBay but often they will not ship to Canada or they are in very poor shape. One guy had one on eBay calling it a red eye but it was a Lavencedora. I sent him a message to that affect & he rightly fixed the description.
    Old 02-19-2014, 08:08 AM
    Banned

Originally Posted by callen
    ... One guy had one on eBay calling it a red eye but it was a Lavencedora. I sent him a message to that affect & he rightly fixed the description.
    Good for you! I do this all the time, kinda like a second(third,fourth) hobby
    Old 02-19-2014, 10:31 AM

That machine is one I returned back to a treadle. Before I got it someone had motorized it. The motor was gone, the treadle foot plate, pitman arm, dress guard, big wheel and screws were missing. I got most of that from the US via forum members on another forum. The pitman arm, derailer and it's spring cam from Australia. They are made in China.
    The pitman arm was wonderful. But the derailer was horrid. I had to finish machining it so it would work.

I had to go there because at the time I could not find all the treadle parts here in the US.

You can sometimes find them on eBay, but don't hold your breath.

Joe
    Old 02-19-2014, 11:47 AM

Joe - I see them often on eBay - but then I spend way, way to much time on there looking for the less common vintage sewing machine stuff.

I agree about the "made in china" replacement parts. I don't think they have a "finishing" department. Just pull it out of a sand cast mold and paint it up -
    Old 02-19-2014, 12:55 PM

Default Derailer

My mother had a White Rotary all her adult life and never derailed the belt. The belt was only replaced once during in her life. My daughter still has her machine. Can't ever remember a stretched belt. I had a model 66 Redeye and didn't derail that machine's belt. Now I'm curious. Maybe we were just lucky.
    Donna

Originally Posted by purplefiend
    I wish all treadle cabinets had the belt shifter/derailer. My Elgin irons and White Rotary irons don't have one.
    Sharon in Texas
    Old 02-19-2014, 12:59 PM

Donna,

Singers require the belt to be derailed so the head can be tilted back to lower it. Some other brands don't.

If I had more space I'd just leave my treadles set up to use with a cover over the head.

joe
    Old 02-24-2014, 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller
    There is a little lever with a hole in it at the top front of the dress guard just in front of the big wheel. The belt should be passed through it. This little gadget is the belt derailer. Just pull the thumb tab towards you as you turn the wheel and the belt will come off of it. Then you can lift and lower your treadle head.
    Joe
    Wow! I didn't know that. I had an old Singer treadle years ago-don't know model #, but always just lifted the head up slightly and then folded everything where it was supposed to go. Never seemed to hurt anything. Guess I was just lucky. When I first got it, the leather belt and staple were pulled apart. I just used an awl and poked a new hole in the leather and rebent the staple in place.