Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • Sigh ..... I have to confess ..... >
  • Sigh ..... I have to confess .....

• Sigh ..... I have to confess .....

Old 11-01-2014, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by KenmoreRulesAll
    That's a Singer refurbished machine from the 1940s.
    Certainly it's a rare price at nearly $400 with a 1/15HP motor (that's a bit less than 50W, or what we'd call "very weak"). Cant believe it was sold. All traces of pretty decals removed and painted plain green.
    I wouldn't buy anything from that guy but I might attend his marketing class.
    Old 11-02-2014, 05:49 AM

I have to say that I’m leaning more and more toward the old black Singers at this point in my 9 years of collecting sewing machines. Although I’ve never taken to the model 15 much (I’m not sure why), I do have a couple in my collection, but haven’t ever fiddled with them much (15-91 Centennial & 115 treadle/HC). Of the machines that I use and display, most of them are black Singers, although many of them are industrial models, which is another direction that my collecting is headed towards. Since most of the vintage industrial Singers were black, I guess that’s why I like black Singers.

My green Singer 319W, gray Adler 205, gray Singer 111G, and gray Consew 225 are the exceptions, mainly because they came that color, and the beige Singer 400-series machines only came in that color, but for the most part, I like black Singers. I have surrounded myself with about a dozen black Singers, all serviced and ready to sew. The exception is Grandma’s old black White VSIII treadle that started this whole thing. It was my first vintage machine, and yes, it’s serviced and ready to sew too.

Keep in mind that I’m of the “opportunistic collector” variety, and tend to simply acquire machines that I find locally. I’ve had to drive a fair distance for some of my machines, but so far, I’ve only had one shipped to me.

I find it interesting all of the different directions that we can take with our collections.

CD in Oklahoma
    Old 11-02-2014, 06:04 AM

A red sewing machine is one I do not own. Sure like that red Belair.
    Old 11-02-2014, 06:39 AM

ThayerRags, I agree with you. I probably have more of the older black singers that I have of anything else. Somehow, it seems I am just drawn to them. Of course, I do have lots of other machines that I purchased simply because of the color and they were within my price range, under $50.
    Old 11-02-2014, 08:09 AM

I'm also an opportunistic collector. The reason that I have a fair number of black Singers is that those are the machines best represented in my local market, not because I necessarily like them more than any other type of machine, make, color, or features. However, there are several black Singer models I really do like and in my opinion are worthy of their popularity both as working machines and as collectible items. I prefer the 15-90 to the 15-91 because a standard belted outboard is easier to maintain but I have a -91 because I found a nice one at a great price and it's considered a standard for any collection.

As for industrials, I've only dipped my toe in the water with an Adler Class 98. And I'm currently looking at an old walking foot long arm from the 1930s. Color's not really an issue (and there isn't much choice, as has been noted) but space is, so I'm considering the function of each machine. And of course what's available in my area.

So FWIW, my collection is moving away from the colorful dashboard machines into two distinct but overlapping sets: industrials for leather, upholstery, drapery work, etc. and domestics for lighter duty such as garment sewing. As I've grown in knowledge (still a newb here), I have a better idea of what I want my future studio to be able to accomplish.
    Old 11-02-2014, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by Caroline S
    A red sewing machine is one I do not own. Sure like that red Belair.
    I think it's one of those that look dreamy, but is a left homing machine.
    Old 11-02-2014, 09:28 AM

The BelAir is a nice machine, but not at all what I'm looking for as it's not a clone. And it's a two tone machine.

That green refurbished machine is kinda cool looking, but not what I'm looking for either. I've got some shuttle machines, but I tend to stay away from any more of them.

Right now I'm slobbering over a White Model 77MG I just got. NICE machine. OD green crinkle color. And it was well within our budget too. Got it for under $20.00

Joe
    Old 11-04-2014, 07:33 PM

I have a 15 that looks just like this, I think it must have been repainted post war perhaps by a dealer?