Singer 12, tension trouble

Old 03-17-2015, 05:39 PM

MMike, sent you a PM
Old 03-17-2015, 06:22 PM
Banned

I would also suggest taking some 0000 steel wool and running it through the disks. (Actually I usually disassemble the face and remove the disks and clean the directly. Makes a difference.

Looking up "deep creep" now. (Thanks!) I use Kriol as a penetrating fluid.

EDIT: I would try it as is after making sure the thread path is clean. You may need to schooch it down a bit more to get loops everytime.

a trick I was taught for these is "pull feel" the tension of both threads once they are through the needleplate and on top. they should be close to the same tension

Last edited by SteveH; 03-17-2015 at 06:26 PM.
Old 03-17-2015, 09:28 PM

SteveH, I've heard that it's hairy getting the side plate back on. I'll try steel wool first. Is there anything I should be cautious of or avoid doing altogether (behind the plate)?
Old 03-19-2015, 07:48 AM
Banned

side plate?
Old 03-19-2015, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by SteveH
side plate?
Typo? Probably slide plate, although the one at the (left) side *is* the one we slide
Old 03-19-2015, 08:24 PM

Sorry, I actually mean the plate on the side of the machine, where the tension is attached, etc. Typo? Me? well, it *could* happen. More likely I just can't remember what these thingamajigs are called!
Old 03-19-2015, 10:05 PM

It's not too complex behind that face plate. The worst that will happen is that the needle bar or presser bar will drop off. Which, after I've typed that LOOKS scary but it's not as bad as it sounds. . Take the plate off and take pics as you go. I'm neck deep in a project right now, so not as available as I'd like but it looks like Steve has you covered.
Old 03-20-2015, 07:38 AM
Banned

...got your back. hehe

Ellpea, would you like a quick photo essay showing the take apart and reassembly process or would you like to just jump in and ask if you have issues? Either way works for me.
Old 03-20-2015, 12:28 PM

haha lol you all make funny joke!

One of these days the need may arise to get inside that face/side plate, but now is not the time, you tempters you!

The machine is very stable and very happy, so at the moment I don't think I'll mess with success. Thank you for your comments (and songs!). I'm tempted to name her Rita Mae! But I do have a few names arguing for top position and they haven't narrowed themselves down quite yet.

Right now the next job is get a new needle in the White FR, and do a little quilting. Go to the cutting table and cut up the men's shirts and jammies for the fabric I didn't need. Swap out the laundry. Unload the dishwasher.

Sigh. Maybe I'll concentrate on the first two, and then maybe the third!

Cheers everyone!
Old 03-20-2015, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Ellpea
Since the upper tension knob would not turn, a bit of "Deep Creep" (that's an actual product, and it's incredible!) was sprayed onto a q-tip, and dabbed around the base of the knob. The knob loosened up almost immediately, at least it agreed to move without pliers. Within a few minutes it was possible to turn it with bare fingers and no pain!
The Deep Creep you're talking about.... is it the Seafoam Deep Creep? It's what comes up when I Google for it. I had thought it was a fuel stabilizer / engine fog but it looks like some of the guys on the gun forums are using it for cleaning and lubing: http://www.gunownersofcanada.ca/show...l=1#post150977

I think my neighbor has some I might try it out on our stubborn Gritzner girl.